Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I install a Delkevic 4-1 on a G model GS1000...they list E and S availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I install a Delkevic 4-1 on a G model GS1000...they list E and S availability

I have to laugh because this is off to me...for once I can find parts for my '80 850G and not for the 1000G.
    I had an ebay auction saved for the possibility of a Delkevic 4-1 on my 850G, but I like my 4-2 oem system even if it is less than perfect.
    I double checked not on ebay and Delkevic's site....no mention of an exhaust system for the 1000G...but they do make one for the 850G! {which never seems to get high perf parts support}.

So, has anyone managed to mount a Delkevic system on their 1000G model?
    What is the difference in the S and G models....both 2 valve right?

Help...

They used to have one for the 1000G, the 850 is a recent addition. You should contact them, maybe they are just out of stock.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

They're probably identical.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I've read that bolt spacing at the exhaust ports are different on the heads, so the flanges would need to have the holes slotted.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

1100E and 1000G headers are the same. The rear mount will have to be fabricated but I have an 1100E exhaust on my 1100G engine in my 1000G frame. The rear mount is simple to make. Just a simple metal strip with two holes is all that's needed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            1100E and 1000G headers are the same. The rear mount will have to be fabricated but I have an 1100E exhaust on my 1100G engine in my 1000G frame. The rear mount is simple to make. Just a simple metal strip with two holes is all that's needed.
            Ah, now that's interesting! A guy got back to me from Delkevic and said that the header wouldn't work since the brake arm would hit it.
            Funny thing, I have the basics for rear sets and lack only the mounting plates to be complete.....so my next issue would be where the exhaust would have to mount up.
            What muffler did you end up with? Yours looks different from the one I saw...{spose a link would be a good thing huh....}
            Here's what I was looking at- "header only"
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Header-Exhaust-Manifold-Downpipes-Stainless-Suzuki-GS1000S-79-80-GS1000E-78-80-
            /182035913812?fits=Make%3ASuzuki%7CModel%3AGS1000S& hash=item2a622f9c54:g:hxgAAOSwezVWz5py

Comment

...and this muffler might look neat behind it...
              Delkevic mufflers are handcrafted from the highest quality materials to enhance your motorcycle in both performance and looks. Delkevic 17" tri-oval stainless steel mufflers are made from high grade 304 stainless steel and polished to a mirror finish.

Comment

Here's an '82 4-1 system for a "G"....any head mount difference on this year to an '80?
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS1100G-Complete-4-1-System-Straight-Muffler-Stainless-Steel-82-83-84-/182281886955?fits=Make%3ASuzuki%7CModel%3AGS1100G& hash=item2a70d8dceb:g:kB8AAOSw8w1X2eMt

Comment

So, to make sure I read this right- 1100E/1000G/1100G all mount the same on the motor?...right?!
                  Your reply said "1100E and 1000G were the same"...but then you said you had an 1100E exhaust system on your "1100G" motor in a 1000G frame...three different pieces, so to speak.
                  Just wanted to clarify what you wrote so I know which exact exhaust system to pull the trigger on.

Comment

The frame is a 1980 GS1000G. The engine is an 1100G engine. There are no external differences between the 1000 and the 1100 G engines, so everything is a straight bolt up. Same carbs, same exhaust. Different jetting. The exhaust I have on my bike is a Vance & Hines for a GS1100E. The only changes I needed to make is at the rear mount. No interference issues were observed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The frame is a 1980 GS1000G. The engine is an 1100G engine. There are no external differences between the 1000 and the 1100 G engines, so everything is a straight bolt up. Same carbs, same exhaust. Different jetting. The exhaust I have on my bike is a Vance & Hines for a GS1100E. The only changes I needed to make is at the rear mount. No interference issues were observed.
                      Great...thanks for clearing "my" head {been a long day}. I'll wind up buying the 1100G set up and hope Delkevic has the same bends as your V&H.
                      Honestly speaking - I can't see why the '82-on cycle would be laid out much different than the '80...'82-on has the aluminum pass foot peg plates while my '80's have the frame hoop for those.
                      I guess there's only one way to find out then!..........the left over money from not buying a V&H pipe will go elsewhere on this bike!

Comment

Member only7bikes has a Delkevic on his 1000G. He had to make 1 small modification but I don't remember what it was or which pipe he used. You might PM him, name is Steve.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Was out trying to install the replacement kickstand and trying to figure out why the front bolt threads for it are gone.....so...let's mess with the new exhaust system now instead!

The '82 on gs1100G system does fit. The mount needs tweeking though.

Comment

I sort of have a back up plan utilizing a late model peg plate if I cut off the current '80 hoop there. Would also require the same year brake arm.....I plan on rear sets anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                              ...and this muffler might look neat behind it...
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSX-S...0AAOSwa~BYcDFJ
                              oooohh that's a nice muffler, my buddy is looking for a complete setup for his GS1000G.
                              No hurry, we took the engine out for new Wiseco's, top end revision and painting so i will follow this with interest !

Would be great for one of my GS1000 chain bikes, too

Sounds like Delkevic support knows their stuff and is helpful too
                              Last edited by Rijko; 06-24-2017, 06:32 PM.
                              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                              Bikecliff's website
                              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                              X