Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850G - Compufire R/R and Caltric Stator install

Will be documenting my install here.

Besides some minor electrical repair with basic soldering and shrink wrap skills, I have no experience doing this.

I picked up a Caltric stator for $37/free shipping. Including some photos if anyone is curious.

I will be installing this Compufire R/R:

Should I find a mating connector for the Compufire so that my stator connects to it using their fancy connector? Cut the connector off and wire directly to stator?

Just found this post.

I think I will order the 3 completed wires:

Anyone know the part number for that black 3 wire connector? (upper right)

Comment

I'm surprised, very crude winding job- appears hand wound. The machine wound units are much cleaner/ tighter. And I don't like the nylon cable ties. But it should work fine, cuz it doesn't need to be pretty
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just decided to say FTW and do an Electrosport Stator with my SH847AA R/R. Made all the difference in the world in every area of my 850GL. Cost - 847 with harness $200, Stator $80, peace of mind PRICELESS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          I'm surprised, very crude winding job- appears hand wound. The machine wound units are much cleaner/ tighter. And I don't like the nylon cable ties. But it should work fine, cuz it doesn't need to be pretty
          yes, that's pretty bad. I dare say it's much worse than I do! and I'd be gluing the worst ones down but ....

Comment

I want to order this connector to wire directly to the stator wires.

The male connectors come in two choices of wire - which should I get?

"10" of 18 gauge black SXL wire, or 14 gauge white GXL wire."

Comment

The Compu-Fire has #10 wire. 18 gauge wire would be fine for the stator as long as the pins for the two different Weather Pack connectors are compatible. I cut mine off and removed some of the strands from the 10 gauge wire so I could fit single weatherproof Furukawa connectors.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm happy to use a different connection such as you did. Especially since the gauge of wire is different and I don't want to mess around with the Weather Pack compatibility. Where did you pick up the single Furukawas? Cycle Terminal?

I think I need some help selecting which connectors and which pins to order.

Furukawa RFW-090 waterproof series sealed connectors, commonly found on Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Subaru Impreza WRX STi Connector FW-C-D3F-B, and others. FW-C-2F-B, FW-C-2M-B, FW-C-3F-B, FW-C-3M-B, FW-C-4F-B, FW-C-4M-B, FW-C-6F-B, FW-C-6M-B, FW-C-6F-B, FW-C-8M-B, FW-C-9F-B, FW-C-9M-B, FW-C-12F-B, FW-C-12M-B, FW-C-16F-B, FW-C-16M-B, FW-C-D16F-B, FP CDI-male headers, seals FW-W-125, FW-W-B031, FW-W-B020, FW-W-D. Great prices and low shipping cost.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I was just thinking.....which is dangerous to begin with.

The connector I found above is pigtailed....so the pins wouldn't matter. The connector would plug into the connector on the Compufire, then I would just solder/heat shrink the 3 stator wires to the 3 pigtail wires, right?

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  The Compu-Fire has #10 wire. 18 gauge wire would be fine for the stator as long as the pins for the two different Weather Pack connectors are compatible. I cut mine off and removed some of the strands from the 10 gauge wire so I could fit single weatherproof Furukawa connectors.

Comment

Yep, that should work.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When connecting the 3 pigtail wires to the stator wires is it ok to just solder and heat shrink?

On the site that I am ordering the male shroud with pigtails from, they say:
                      "These pigtails are easily spliced into existing wiring systems with adhesive-lined, heat shrink butt connectors."

Shown here:
                      With over 45 different types of heat shrink butt connectors, Del City can create a protected and durable connection that will last. All at wholesale pricing!

Do I need a special connector or just solder and heat shrink?

Comment

Twist , solder , heat shrink. Leave excess to be able to redo at some time down the line. Since journal have a cpmpufire most unlikely

Comment

I got the GM connectors at O Reilly's to connect to the compu-fire on my Gs1000g cost about $10. I then did what posplayr said twist solder and put heat shrink over the metal parts and then put them in the plastic connector and it snaps together quite easy for removal
                          see page 3
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Already ordered the connector, but good to know for the future.

Hoping to tackle this over the weekend. Been busy and seeing my bike just sitting there makes me sad.

Comment

I've seen too many overheated connectors to want more of them than I need as a minimum. I did have a starter clutch go out, and did have to cut and re-do a little. Overall, it wasn't a big part of the overall job of changing the starter clutch. It was incidental.

What type of regulator is the Comp-u-fire? I didn't find it in their literature.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X