77 gs550 overcharging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs550 overcharging?

Hey guys so had the bike running for a couple months now and finally took it on a longer ride. Haven't hade any problems running around town, however low and behold I ride it to work and dies in the parking lot. Battery reads 0 and won't charge, bought a new battery and did some testing today. The generator checked out using the bikeclife stator test, so leads me to believe the r/r. It's just blowing my mind that at idle I'm charging at 33vdc... it bounces around but still I don't get it. The r/r was a eBay cheap find...so before you guys flame me lol my intentions was to just get it rolling. Now I need reliablilty. Help gurus of gs's!!!

Originally posted by Hell or high water View Post
    Hey guys so had the bike running for a couple months now and finally took it on a longer ride. Haven't hade any problems running around town, however low and behold I ride it to work and dies in the parking lot. Battery reads 0 and won't charge, bought a new battery and did some testing today. The generator checked out using the bikeclife stator test, so leads me to believe the r/r. It's just blowing my mind that at idle I'm charging at 33vdc... it bounces around but still I don't get it. The r/r was a eBay cheap find...so before you guys flame me lol my intentions was to just get it rolling. Now I need reliablilty. Help gurus of gs's!!!
    Yep, that is definitely a bad regulator. SH775 is the cats meow that all the cool guys are using.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Just make sure it says shindengen sh775 on the back of it. I ordered one that it was a sh775 but it was a knockoff so I sent it back and ordered a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by danbobberino View Post
        I ordered one that it was a sh775 but it was a knockoff so I sent it back and ordered a used one.
        I think if you look back at the listing for that unit, it probably says something like "replaces SH775" or "fits Polaris RZR" or something similar, but with VERY careful wording never actually claims to be an SH775.

Rather than type it all over, just click HERE, then scroll down to post #18.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FWIW, I was able to source the SH775 through amazon. The item is still listed, but the price has gone up considerably since (180$ shipped to my country), which IMO hints at it being genuine (Another hint is that the unit keeps quite cool, and the battery still being alive). However, I still have to confirm it conclusively, i.e. reading stator current etc.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I think if you look back at the listing for that unit, it probably says something like "replaces SH775" or "fits Polaris RZR" or something similar, but with VERY careful wording never actually claims to be an SH775.

Rather than type it all over, just click HERE, then scroll down to post #18.

Yup, you are right, as usual

Comment

So put the new regulator in and charged at 13.5 at idle and 14.5 or so at 4K rpm. Ran fine for the day then took off for a quick ride and boom same thing. Battery at zero... what would keep blowing up regulators??? I'm about out of patcience with this thing. I'm gonna light it on fire!!!

Comment

So surprise us by telling what regulator you got! Your bike left factory with seperate rectifier and regulator...how about now?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well you didn't leave the old battery in, did you?

Also, if you don't have patience, get another bike than a GS.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Charging at 33v is enough to cause damage, boil fluid out of the battery, reduce the life of your lights, and damage the stator. I imagine the insulation varnish on the stator wire is weak and breaking down under a heavy charging load because of the previous overcharging. I have experienced it myself where the stator checked out and failed later. There are definitive tests, but I didn't have the proper equipment to check for failure under load.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I replaced the battery with the same gel type battery as before and I used the Polaris style replacement regulator. Dident realize that until I looked at the listing again. However to burn two different regulators within three weeks? It just sounds to me like there's an underlying problem, I realize they aren't as good of quality as the mentioned one on here but at least should have lasted a little while right? Troubleshooting wise could someone tell me what would burn a regulator? The stator going bad has been mentioned but is there other things? My knowledge on bikes is very limited as this is the first bike I've ever owned or worked on. Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions I guess. I just know the guys on here are very knowledgeable.

Comment

I'll ask again....
                        Your bike left factory with seperate rectifier and regulator...how about now ?
                        these would be two physically seperate units. Did you run the 3 stator output wires direct to your new polaris type r/r?

"So put the new regulator in and charged at 13.5 at idle and 14.5 or so at 4K rpm. Ran fine for the day then took off for a quick ride and boom same thing. Battery at zero" This suggests that the r/r was working, but then stator likely failed to produce output. You need to test stator

Do this test.. Disconnect stator leads from r/r. with your multimeter set on 200vac scale (or same scale that you would use for house outlet) While running bike to about 4k to 5k rpms, measure stator lead to stator lead and note the 3 readings. At same time and same meter scale, put one meter probe on any stator lead and other probe on good bike ground - you want to see a very low voltage reading, 0 would be best.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hell or high water View Post
                          I used the Polaris style replacement regulator.
                          op mentioned Polaris. SH775 ?
                          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                            op mentioned Polaris. SH775 ?
                            He knows that he got duped with fake!
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

What would make several shunt R/R's fail back to back are the same electrical conditions in the harness that made the first one fail. The plugs, connectors, switches and grounds on old bikes need to be cleaned thoroughly. If you had the bike running you could run your hands over the wiring harness and would notice some of the wiring was warmer or even hotter than in other places. This is usually at the bullet connectors or plugs and sometimes a wire (switches do the same thing but it is harder to tell). That heat is caused by poor or dirty connections, corrosion, etc. It's like adding resistors into the circuit. When they are totaled up it can be enough to fool a shunt R/R into overcharging or overheating destroying itself or other components. When I bought my bike, I also bought a parts bike that had only about 4,600 miles on it. Both bikes had connectors from the stator that were burnt and some of the large plugs ran very hot. Go through every connector and ground on the bike and clean it or replace the burnt ones. A small stainless steel brush, DeoxIT D5 and a coating of dielectric grease help a lot. The few connectors that may need to be replaced need to be done with a proper crimping tool. You may cure a lot of problems in the process. Look for discolored wiring or connectors or hard brittle insulation, an indication of excessive heat. Good luck.
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X