Another learning curve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AMK View Post
    He's going to go naked with it at first and thats the way I like them too. I agree with you that they are becoming more interesting to me also.
    I think you should convince him to at least wear a helmet. he eh
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      I think you should convince him to at least wear a helmet. he eh
      Oh, no. I'll take a picture and post it on Fakebook
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Just a couple tidbits to offer:
        1. The carbs are a pain. They are a bit tricky just to get to them, then just a bit fiddly to work on. Pay attention to details.
        2. Check the stator. Yep, it has a stator and R/R, just like the GS, but the big difference is that you have to remove the engine from the frame to access the stator. It would benefit from a Polaris R/R, just like a GS.

Are the cam belts an issure? If they haven't been changed, they are pretty old now.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I turned him on to ngwclub and goldwingdocs and he has been doing his homework.
          He's read about the timing belts.
          Right now the starter is locked up but the engine and tranny are free.
          I want to test the stator and clutch first but the engine needs to come out for the starter as well. I love my GS even more now!
          Still in triage to determine a methodical approach before he spends money on it.
          Alan

sigpic
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Cam belts should be done every 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. They will likely still look brand-new, but you will KNOW their condition when you replace them.

Also, be sure to replace the tensioners while you are in there. Yeah, it's a few more bucks, but the price is rather small, compared to replacing an engine if it grenades because the cam belts slipped a tooth or three. I don't remember for sure if the 1100 was an "interference" engine or not. I think that there WILL be considerable damage if a belt breaks, because the valves will be open and hit by the pistons, which are still moving. If that happens, it is MUCH easier, quicker and cheaper to get a new engine.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, it truly is a priority for him. He owned a Honda Civic that came with the same warnings and borrowed time (or mileage).
              I haven't checked yet but i hope one could do that, at least, with the engine in.
              Alan

sigpic
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Yep, engine stays in the frame, the belt covers come right off. I don't remember details on the 1100, they might have a re-useable gasket (o-ring type thing), but check the parts fiche first.

I replaced the belts on my 1500 Wing at about 135,000 miles. They still looked new, but the tensioners (especially the right one) were starting to rumble a bit.

While the belts are off, be sure to inspect/replace the water pump. There is probably a good guide on goldwingdocs or on randakk. The greatest cause of water pump failure is lack of maintenance and use of the wrong fluid, so pay attention to what is recommended. They do NOT use the same coolant as the GSes.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve, sometimes I use wet roads for engine cooling but it's not always favorable.

Just got on Randakk's website to search starter removal and man is it good. The possibility of losing the starter sprocket and chain (?) forcing engine removal is a myth.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Make sure you also have a good title. Lots of cool old bikes have become parts collections thanks to Indiana's draconian BMV (Bureau of Motorcycle Victimization), and from the tales I've heard, Ohio's rabble of bureaucrats is about the same or worse.

Post lots of pics!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

My son- in- law tells me there's a title but I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure he has it yet. He's still waiting on the keys
                      I don't know the guy he got it from but I'm hoping he didn't pick up a parts bike.
                      He can be impulsive at times.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Quick starter question

20170614_084724.jpg If I test from this terminal to the case should i see continuity?
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Yes, you will probably see continuity. That lead is for the power that will spin the starter. It goes from there, through one brush, through the windings on the armature, through another brush and on to the case, which is grounded to complete the circuit.

Not sure what resistance value you should see, but it should be a bit above zero.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Thank you Steve, I see zero resistance.
                            Alan

sigpic
                            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The GL1100 starter was a known weak spot.
                              There is a thread discussing how to rebuild them on Goldwing Docs forum

Here -->>
                              http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259

After I finished it --

Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                                Make sure you also have a good title. Lots of cool old bikes have become parts collections thanks to Indiana's draconian BMV (Bureau of Motorcycle Victimization), and from the tales I've heard, Ohio's rabble of bureaucrats is about the same or worse.

Post lots of pics!
                                This ▲

Do not twist a single bolt or buy anything until you have the title in your name (son's name) and it's safely tucked into your desk drawer. I have literally seen it dozens and dozens of times people start wrenching and dropping cash only to figure out they don't have a title or can't get a title easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X