List of tools & parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of tools & parts

So now that I've brought this '83 GS650G back from the dead (in no small part thanks to this forum and she's been running great, I'm planning on taking 'er on a month long trip to the west.
    My question is: Can anyone give me some guidance on what tools to bring with me? I don't want to lug around all my wrenches, etc. And maybe a list of essential things that tend to blow out on the road, that I can also pack and have ready when they decide to go?

Thanks all!

I spend loads of time thinking about this. Here's my list:

Mandatory:
    - Wrenches - All sizes that come in the factory tool kit. Make sure you have one for removing rear wheel.
    - Screwdrivers - Flatheads in sizes needed to adjust carbs and take out jets. A couple good phillips that fit where you need them.
    - If I'm going away for a few days on my GS I bring my hammer driven impact driver (don't bring the hammer). It's kind of big but something that most people won't have if you for some reason needed it.
    - Zip ties - I end up using these the most
    - Small vice grips.
    - Needle nose pliers (I have a small leatherman I pretty much always carry on my belt that services this purpose as well as flathead good for adjusting my carb screws.)
    - Small roll of wire (4 ft) in case I need to splice something in and a handful of connectors.

Optional:
    - Small air compressor and a couple tire plugs - I got a slime one a couple months bag. Haven't had to use it but might give some peace of mind depending on your route.

When are you leaving/where are you going?
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Small vice grips.

This would have saved me a year ago when my throttle cable broke at the grip on the way to work. I ended up parking it and walking the rest of the way to work. That evening, called the wife to come pick me up and bring an assortment of tools. I rode the bike home by clamping the vice grips to the loose end of the cable and laying the grips on the bar and twisting it just like an ordinary throttle sleeve. It actually worked much better than I was expecting.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Join the NABR Facebook group as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/
        28000 members willing to help if you need it.
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Wrenches: You wouldn't have a list of wrench sizes you usually carry with a GS650? I never wrote down what I used while working on it before, and I suspect that I haven't used everything that it MAY need?
          Screwdrivers: I think I got this.
          Impact driver: What type of on the road repair would I need this for?
          Zip ties: Yes! ...and scotch tape!
          Vice grips: Will take note, thank you... even though I haven't yet run into a situation where I needed 'em.
          Needle nose pliers: I don't leave home without my leatherman knock-off.
          Wire: Good idea - I usually swim in wire, and so I take it for granted.
          Air compressor and tire plugs: I thought I would need em - just gotta find something small enough as far compressor goes. Any suggestions as to a model?

I'm leaving Chicago, riding up through Wisconsin and Minnesota, through the Dakotas and into Montana, doing some hiking and climbing there, then through Idaho and on to Oregon and maybe even BC if I have time. Then turning around, coming down to Redwoods in northern CA, then back east through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Yellowstone if time permits, and then hauling ass back through the flat states.
          Yep... going to be a fun trip, unless I spend half of it working on the bike

Comment

Thank you for the invite! I don't have facebook to this day. Maybe a good reason to brea down and get an account :P

Comment

Get one of the combination screwdrivers that have multiple bits stored inside. That is much easier to carry versus multiple individual ones.
              wrenches - 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 17mm are about all you really need for most roadside repairs
              I carry a small cheap set of sockets and a quarter-inch drive ratchet with the sockets ranging from ten to 13mm
              Carry a leatherman or similar multi-tool as it has the pliers, knife, scissors, and such that you need

And to be honest the biggest tool you can carry that will do you the most good and is extremely lightweight - your debit/credit card.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                wrenches - 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 17mm are about all you really need for most roadside repairs
                Yup this is all you need and I would add 19mm for taking off the rear wheel (at least on the GS450). I think that it also might be 19mm to turn the crank.

This is the air compressor I have:
                1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

You will definitely need an 11mm wrench to take off the horn
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                  X