Triple tree identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple tree identification

Does anyone know how to identify the triple tree from a leading axle versus inline axle bike?

I ask because I have a 79' 750 inline which I am converting to a dual brake setup. I bought 79 leading axle forks and have rebuilt them. I also purchased what I believed to be 79' triple tree with roller cone bearings which I mistakenly believed meant they went to a leading axle setup.

When I received the triple tree I measured the stem and found that the flared base is 30mm meaning it was most likely from an 80-83. But now I have no idea how to be sure that the triple and forks will play nice together without re-assembling and going for a ride. I would have bought the forks and triple as a package deal but I rushed the process and did not realize I needed to also update the triple also until after receiving the forks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leading axle triple have far less offset in them:

These are L style (leading axle):

These are standard E clamps:

Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

So then these are both E (inline axle) triples

I thought they looked awfully simillar but thought the difference might be too small to discern.

Comment

They're different triples - you can see the clamp areas are different on the top clamps. Whether it's just different years or different models, no idea.

Put them together bottom to bottom and see if the holes line up with each other.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
          They're different triples - you can see the clamp areas are different on the top clamps. Whether it's just different years or different models, no idea.

Put them together bottom to bottom and see if the holes line up with each other.
          They pretty much line up. But like I said I was concerned initially there was a nearly indiscernible difference. They are different in some respects yes. Which is interesting because supposedly they both came off the same year bike (79' 750) but one has ball bearings while the other is roller. The bar clamps are different. In the lower triple there are three small thru holes that are not present in one but there in the other (they were not being used on my bike though, nut sure exactly what they are there for.)

I got the seller to take this set as a return and swap out with another that appears to be a leading axle triple but it is from an 80' 750. The pictures from this thread helped me explain the difference making him more amenable to this. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I should have pictures with dual brakes and drilled slotted VFR rotors soon

Comment

Working...
          X