No announcement yet.

1984 GS750E Sport project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am trying to come up with a name for this. Since it is a 1984 GS750E Sport, and I have GSXR600 parts, wanted to combine the 2. Maybe GS750R, GS750R Sport, GS750X??? Any ideas. Was thinking about going with white, orange and grey, but really like fluorescent yellow with blue and red.

The white/orange/great like this but with white wheels and orange rim tape.

With the yellow, I like the rims yellow with blue tank and yellow racing stripe in the tank with Red Suzuki and red accents.

Comment

Going by this real quick paint test this weekend, it has to be the orange white and grey.

Comment

Mocked up my kids Yosh slip on.

Comment

No wonder I had a hard time starting and keeping it running. Pin hole in one diaphragm, 1 the needle won't come out as it is green and this one is all fuzzy and has a solid green deposit in the bowl.

Comment

aaaaaagggggghhhhh Green death. I can smell it from here!
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Was on vacation for a week and did some work to the bike, but not picture worthy. Drilled out 2 broken bolts in one of the exhaust cylinders and tried to get the broken bolt out of the stator cover side. Broke off a screw extractor in it and had to spend a couple hours with a dremel and bit to get it all out. Now to tap the holes. Also bought a welder to learn how to weld and do stuff on the frame i need. A buddy of mine works at a steel manufacturing plant and told me to come get some scrap steel to use and practice welding. Got a tour and he told me if I need anything made up to draw it out and he will get it in a run. So I am waiting to see if I get a shock mount made up for me instead of trying to make it myself. Also removed the races and bearing from the GSXR front stem and put the new bearings in. Other than that I played around with some paint stripes and colours on the tank again.

Comment

Called Suzuki Canada and they told me the VIN they can't find and to contact Suzuki USA. THey couldn't find it til I gave them my engine number. My registration papers for insurance say it iis a 1984 GS750E Sport, but Suzuki USA says it is a Canadian GSX750EFE or the US equivalent is 1984 GS700ESE. So I now know what parts to order.

Comment

Got a couple parts and did a bit of work on it the last few days. Going to have to replace a fork seal and tire on my CBR250R soon, so the GS will sit a bit.

Got a 2007 R1 Tail section on the weekend. Took the rear rearsets off and the fender while I play with where it will go. Right now I just have it laying on top of the orginal subframe, but will remove that when I get a tank so I can line it all up. I am getting my shock mount this week from my friend, but since I will be removing the subframe I have designed up a different one and will get that made. Also got my handlebar risers and mounted them.

Also, when removing the broken bolt and extractor I noticed, it looks like the resin used for electronics where the magnets are is cracked. Does anyone know if it is ok for me to remove most of that or is is supposed to be there in the first place? Thx

Made a rolling workbench also. Really helps to move it around and up higher for me to work on it.

Comment

Got my shock bracket from my buddy at the steel manufacturing plant and spot welded it on so I can see how the suspension works, until I decide on what I am doing with the tail. I have him making another one to try if I remove the current subframe. Also grabbed a box of assorted pieces they were scrapping.

Shot of the bars

Comment

Any ideas on that stator pic?

Comment

Just quick tip, you might consider revising the shock mount. The way it sits now there are a couple differing loads applied that I don't think the sheet steel will hold up to without additional gisseting and/or a shape revision. I could run a quick FEA analysis to show you the failure points.

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
                          Just quick tip, you might consider revising the shock mount. The way it sits now there are a couple differing loads applied that I don't think the sheet steel will hold up to without additional gisseting and/or a shape revision. I could run a quick FEA analysis to show you the failure points.
                          Thanks, that would be great. I just tacked that in for now so I can move it around and see how everything is working. it is made out of 3/16" steel and I can put some gussets or bracing in for sure.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Picked up a 79 CB750 tank this weekend. Tried some GS tanks but none would fit, plus I like the size of this tank and the raised top section. Don't think I will keep the R1 tail though. So I will put it all together and see if I can get back what I bought it for. Never sold on eBay but that is an option too.

Comment

Had a couple week off for vacation and got some work done to it and have some updates.

First off I bought an old XS850 special seat for $20. I cut it up to make a solo seat for it and liked the way it looks, but the pan is rusted and cracked and isn't much good.

So I found a Vulcan 800 seat for $20 and he tossed in a Vulcan 900 pan and some foam. The 900 pan fits great and I then cut up the foam to fit it a bit better for testing and put the XS850 cover on it for now. Nice and soft. WIll be cutting the passenger part off.

I then made a tank bracket and tacked it in so I have a better idea of where the tank will sit and can look at figuring out how to mount the seat (if I keep it).

I then added some supports for the seat.

Searching Kijiji I found a guy selling a bunch of 2005 GSXR 1000 parts for $100 and he took $50. So I switched out the GSXR600 swingarm for the 1000 and will probably use the assorted nuts and bolts and kickstand, but will sell the fairings. I need to find or make an insert to go in the swingarm to fill the space of the 15mm pivot bolt and I need to find a rear caliper and bracket. Also removed the shock bracket as it doesn't work with the 1000 swinger so I am working on making a new one.

Not a big black bike fan, but thought instead of making the bike colourful, I will make it a bit more neutral coloured and go with bright jackets, helmet, gloves, boots, etc. So I did a quick black with grey stripe. Not sure if I will make the stripe white or maybe gun metal grey.

The rearsets are a from a mid 2000's CBR600 that a guy was selling, because he should have ordered the cbr600rr ones.

Comment

Had the whole house to myself last night so I decided to put the engine in so I could see all the extra tabs I could delete and where things are so I know if I need to relocate stuff. Starting to see what it will look like when done. My vision is to have a bike that is muscle bike like the late 60's early 70's muscle cars, big back tire, wide, with nice lines and fun to ride.

Back end looks good, but I don't think that seat is going to work. A little too wide, but I do want a seat that isn't the standard long/flat/narrow seat and still kinda want a solo seat. Guess with winter coming I will have a lot of time to think and shop for one.

Comment

Working...
                                X