Clutch springs too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch springs too tight?

I travel with my bike so i can ride when not working, I have a sprinter van and I work all over and travel 8-9 months a year. We got rained out yesterday and I hit up this little shop. Guy running it has same bike as me but year or two newer and much nicer. I was pickingh is brain about stuff, trying to learn and hes looking over my ride and trys my clutch handle and saws what the hell you got going on. I didn't get what he was saying until he had me try his lutch on his bike, wow his was like 100 times easier to pull. He wanted to know if I had done work on it and I haven't. I knew it pulled hard but just thought it was a bigger bike. anyways he said I should change out the springs. We got cut short and now I am down the road. Why would someone put in these hard to pull springs in the first place or are they covering up some issue? I don't know that much about bikes yet.

Some guys with a slipping clutch think they need stiff springs. New stock springs are plenty strong. Get a new OEM cable too and lube it before install
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Get a new OEM cable too and lube it before install
      Do this first - it's the cheapest and easiest to rule out first up.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I'd start with lubricating the clutch cable, it may just be very dry. If this doesn't help, you may need to replace the cable - it could be ripped inside causing friction. Also make sure there's a bit of play at the clutch lever, the cable shouldn't be very tight.
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

I think I have replaced the clutch cable twice now so far. I lubed it up but still the same, Maybe I'll try and source some used stock springs on Ebay or something.

Comment

read the manual for proper adjustment procedure
            its not as intuitive as one might expect.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS850 View Post
              I think I have replaced the clutch cable twice now so far. I lubed it up but still the same, Maybe I'll try and source some used stock springs on Ebay or something.
              Why bother with USED springs? New ones are about $20 for the set of six. Toss in a $10 gasket and a $15 cable, you will have a complete new setup for less than $50.

Somebody put "heavy-duty" springs in there because they detected some slipping. Would you believe it was "used OEM springs" that caused the slipping?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Why bother with USED springs? New ones are about $20 for the set of six. Toss in a $10 gasket and a $15 cable, you will have a complete new setup for less than $50.

Somebody put "heavy-duty" springs in there because they detected some slipping. Would you believe it was "used OEM springs" that caused the slipping?

Good point. Will get to spending some money. Thanks for the information, I'm not very motorcycle technically savvy yet.

Comment

Working...
                X