carbtune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbtune

First I wanted to give a heads up. I just ordered mine from england. They are running a special, wasn't there 2 weeks ago, where you can upgrade to brass adapters instead of nylon and get the tool pouch for what came out to $93.00 shipped to AZ. I couldnt find the 4 cylinder unit minus pouch and brass in the US for under about $125.00 although there is a used one on ebay right now for $95. Says shipping is about 10 business days which is fine. So if you were vacillating but would like to save a few bucks now may be the time.

So on to my question for when it arrives. I have an 82 gs750 and the screws to attach the vacuum lines are in the cast metal at the engine side. There is one for each cylinder of course. Do I just plug up the vacuum line that operates the petcock?
    Alex

Yes you do.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I just used a drill bit that fit snugly in the hose.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

You'll probably have it Saturday. I think I had mine in 4 days.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Most people will use golf tees to plug the vacuum line. They are cheap and plentiful.
          1981 GS 1000GLX.
          1981 GS 1000G.
          1981 GS 650GLX.
          1975 TS 185.
          1972 100. Kawasaki.
          1968 100. Suzuki.
          1970 Z 50. Honda.
          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I've been putting off getting one so I'm going to jump on this.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

good time to buy here in the states too with the pound losing value by the minute.....
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

be sure to send May a thank you note
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I figured out that a carbtune bought here with no extras and the same bought from carbtune saved me in the neighborhood of 30 bucks. I know some of us are retired and watching the money so $30 bucks is real money, to spend on other parts
                  Add to that I got the brass nipples and pouch .. Awesome.

My wife is a gardener and we always have goof plugs around for irrigation and they work awesome to plug that line.

Now here is a maintenance question. I am still having some trouble getting my idle under control. After really doing a number on sealing up ANY air intake other than through the filter I found the bike running rich. I cleaned the excess oil out of my air filter which I over oiled and now the bike sounds like it is close to stalling at a light until it is properly warmed up. Once its warm it purrs at lights and even cold it runs wonderfully throughout the power band .. except for idle.

So ... should I keep messing with the pilot screws or just wait for the carbtune?

Comment

difficult thing about golf tees is getting them from the players... they are known to congregate on golf courses usually in packs of 4.... have your buddy distract them and you pounce on the weakest one.... pull that golf tee right over their heads and hope there arms dont get stuck... good luck.... oh, and run!!!
                    -Mark
                    Boston, MA
                    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                    sigpic
                    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I looked on the Carbtune site and couldn't see the package deal with the brass fittings. Can you post a link? Don't need one right now since I already have one but would like to confirm the deal. Possibly pick up a 2nd one for a V8 application I have.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Try this link

At the bottom right of the page there is a drop down box. I think the last choise is Brass adapters and pouch for an extra 8 pounds.

If the link doesnt work
                        Go to shopping from the home page, go to carbtune 4 and click view and you will wind up at the link I posted and see the drop down. Shipping is 5 pounds. Mine worked out to $93

After seeing the prices on ebay and Amazon, if I had it like that I would have ordered 1 or 2 extra for resale. Unfortunately I spent ALL my disposable income on the parts I needed to get my baby going.

Comment

I see it now. Didn't see the drop down on the link I was using.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Alright I got my carbtune. just an FYI I ordered it last Thursday the 8th and it arrived today one week later on Thursday the 15th. That is damn fine service and considering what I saved outstanding. If I ordered it from Ebay I probably wouldnt have received it any sooner than yesterday.

Dont know if they are still running the special but let me tell you... get the pouch. I thought it would be a cheesy throw in but it is a really nice heavy piece of well thought out gear. Both the wife and I marveled at the damn pouch before we even checked what was inside.

Comment

A good complement to the Carbtune would be a nice shop fan. I got the third one in the list. It gives you all the time in the world to sync the carburetors without overheating as well as keeping the garage nice to work in all summer. https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ank%2Cf&q=fans
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X