carbtune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
    difficult thing about golf tees is getting them from the players... they are known to congregate on golf courses usually in packs of 4.... have your buddy distract them and you pounce on the weakest one.... pull that golf tee right over their heads and hope there arms dont get stuck... good luck.... oh, and run!!!
    As s golfer, this is hilarious!
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I decided to reclean my carbs and I ordered new clamps for the airbox to carbs as well as a new throttle cable so I waited until today to put it all back together. It was crazy hot last week and I wasnt going out to play.
      But
      I wanted to come back and say how damn cool the carbtune was. It was actually great fun. I hooked it up and my bench sync seemed pretty close but the idle was still a bit lumpy. Sounded more like one of my old harleys than a Japanese four. The set up is easy and once you do the little dampening things to the hoses the read out is very stable. What was amazing was how little input makes a HUGE difference. 1 and 4 were off and turning the screws ever so slightly to bring them in line with my number 2 carb and the reaction was instant. The idle smoothed right out. Night and Day. In riding the thing I noticed most was how smooth take offs from a dead stop were. Just wild.

Here are some things I learned and some things to share with anyone who hasnt done it. The bright steel readouts are bone easy to read. You have to get the bike warm which means that when installing the brass adapters the engine is going to burn you. After being burned once I got a short section of 1/4 hose and installed the nipple in the hose end and used that to get the adapters started in the holes. The brass adapters have a slot at the end for a flat head so once you get the adapters threaded part way with the hose just pull the hose off and tighten with a flat head.

The unit comes with a zip tie hanger thingy but I couldnt see the gauge while on the handle bar and do the adjustment and it was much easier in the space where the seat sits. YMMV

I have to look for a better tool if one exists for making the adjustments because using an open end and a screw driver in that tight space with a hot engine SUCKED!

Because my screws were a little buggered I found I was pushing down harder to turn them... well pushing down reads on the gauge so you cant do that. I had to be very careful to use a light touch turning the screw to get an accurate adjustment. I had a set of jewelers screw drivers that are about 4" long and have a pivoting cap for your index finger. Worked better for me than using a large tool in dialing in the screws.

If there is an official mechanics tool for this adjustment let me know.

Carbtune certainly makes a difference and is very easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
        ......I have to look for a better tool if one exists for making the adjustments because using an open end and a screw driver in that tight space with a hot engine SUCKED! ....If there is an official mechanics tool for this adjustment let me know.
        Morgan Carbtune used to have a long combination socket/screwdriver to do the adjustments. Not sure if they still make it. I think MotionPro makes a similar tool. I had a better picture somewhere, but the only one I could find now was this. It is the long socket/screwdriver on the left.

Morgan carb tools.JPG

EDIT: I found this link for the MotionPro tool: https://www.amazon.com/MOTION-PRO-CA.../dp/B001DDH2ZY

Other sources may offer lower price.
        Last edited by 2BRacing; 06-29-2017, 05:40 AM. Reason: Added link to MotionPro tool
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Thank you so much for the info on the tool !!! That will make it much easier.

Comment

Dont even breath hard on the adjustment screws using the Carbtune just a little pressure from the screw driver tool thingy and youll watch the rods go walking around. I seperate the nut locking tool from the screwdriver for that reason and make adjustments with the screw driver and THEN just use the nut tool thing to snug the nuts down...(on VM varbs of course). CVs are a lot more forgiving as far as pressure on the screws goes.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No more drop down, because the home page and the shopping cart page both state this:

"Carbtune Pro comes with the Toolpouch, 5mm and 6mm brass adapters, 4 x nitrile hoses, restricters, comprehensive instructions and warranty. Carbtune Pro is £68 British pounds"

Ordering mine, although today's conversion rate isn't as good. I am getting the kit with the Carbtune Pro and the Colortune with the 10, 12 and 14mm plug sizes for 139 pounds which is $183.53 today. It's $125 on Amazon just for the tool without brass adapters or pouch + $71 for the single 14mm Colortune. Other than my old XL250's all my other bikes are CV carbs, and I've read that the ColorTune isn't as valuable when used with CV's....might as well save on shipping and have the tool for the few times I might need it.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                No more drop down, because the home page and the shopping cart page both state this:

"Carbtune Pro comes with the Toolpouch, 5mm and 6mm brass adapters, 4 x nitrile hoses, restricters, comprehensive instructions and warranty. Carbtune Pro is £68 British pounds"

Ordering mine, although today's conversion rate isn't as good. I am getting the kit with the Carbtune Pro and the Colortune with the 10, 12 and 14mm plug sizes for 139 pounds which is $183.53 today. It's $125 on Amazon just for the tool without brass adapters or pouch + $71 for the single 14mm Colortune. Other than my old XL250's all my other bikes are CV carbs, and I've read that the ColorTune isn't as valuable when used with CV's....might as well save on shipping and have the tool for the few times I might need it.
                Not sure where you're getting your pricing from but I just checked and it's still £68 British pounds and £5 pounds for shipping to the US so a total of £73 British pounds. At todays exchange rate, that comes to $96.42 for the 4 col + tool pouch. Maybe you had 2 in your shopping cart.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  Not sure where you're getting your pricing from but I just checked and it's still £68 British pounds and £5 pounds for shipping to the US so a total of £73 British pounds. At todays exchange rate, that comes to $96.42 for the 4 col + tool pouch. Maybe you had 2 in your shopping cart.
                  That is because he is not just getting a Carbtune.

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There was a problem with my bank so my cart didn't go through last night but my price of £139 is because I'm also ordering the kit with the Colortune including the 3 spark plug sizes.

It is just £68 for the Carbtune kit that now includes the case and brass adapters, which is a a great deal compared to Amazon or eBay.
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      That is because he is not just getting a Carbtune.
                      Got it. Mistaken because this thread started out as just the Carbtune price.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have a 1980 GS850GL and have been looking for a carb synchronizer tool. When I read the Clymer manual it says I need a 4mm adapter. When I look at the carb synchronizer tools on the market today they come with 5mm and 6mm adapters but not a 4mm adapter. Is the Clymer manual wrong?

Comment

Mine is an 81 850GL but as long as it has the BS32 CV carbs it's a 5mm adapter that threads in here:

IMG_2497.jpg

Worst case before you buy the adapters, pull the bike and mic/measure it.

Comment

Got it. Mistaken because this thread started out as just the Carbtune price.
                            Sorry 'bout that. Just sharing what the kit goes for total if you want the Colortune too.

I'd say most people won't ever need it but since I'm paying shipping across the pond I'll get it for my old VM carb bikes and my XL250's. Tuning a single carb/single cylinder bike outta be cal with these tools.

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

I have found if you tune it for cold idle, you will have a hanging idle when it warms up. Sync it, set the idle and the idle air screws for hot running, and use the choke when it is cold. YMMV, of course.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X