Cutting down a windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting down a windshield

The windshield on this bike is a bit too tall for me. Victory does (did) make a shorter version and if you can find it they are bringing $300-$500 bucks.

So, I was fortunate to find a brand new Victory shield the same height as mine for $80.00 bucks!

I have watched a couple videos on how to cut it down and I think I am good with what I watched. My unanswered question is what is the best blade to use? The saw that most used was a jig saw, which is good for stability considering the base of the saw.

What is the best jig saw blade to cut this shield? Thanks!

You use a fine-tooth blade ONLY.

Alternatively, use a spin saw with a drywall bit.

SLOW cutting is the only way to do this. Take your time. Pushing too fast makes the blade very hot very quickly. A hot blade will melt the plastic, and make your cuts irregular, as well

Once cut down, use a belt sander....gently....to smooth off any irregularities and round the edges. Use a fine grit (120 or higher number)

It is best to place wide maskiing tape across the surface and around the area to allow for the saw to move across tape only. Draw your intended cut line on the tape. This will keep the saw base off the surface and prevent damage to the surface while cutting and give you the pattern you want.

Another suggestion...remove the windshield from the bike and have it on some sort of raised support. This will help accuracy and prevent both errors and injury.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

yes^^^ slow... power tools really tend to melt it. if you can cool with something, might help AND a handheld jigsaw will tend to vibrate the the windshield....BE Sure it is a "lexan" and not a Plexiglass which cracks very easily...plenty of info on this here's the top of the pile (http://www.plasticgenius.com/2011/08...n-matchup.html) My test is that "lexan" can be tortured with vicegrips without breaking

bandsaw might be better because the blade is always going one way but you wouldn't want to scratch up the windshield so cover the saw's table with something..

I have often cut with a hacksaw with blade turned 90 degrees can work well ..if curve is gradual, can do fine......even a hand woodsaw, though clumsy, always cutting straight, progressively "cutting corners off until it's near round-enough for a file... all works better if you have a rounded bit of wood clamped down where you are cutting to stop vibration, if that seems to be happening

Comment

Alright! Thanks for the tips.

Comment

I've cut two windshields. The one on 1000G Fuller fairing and the one on my Cavalcade. I used a cutoff wheel both times and had great results. yeah it melted the plastic, but that snaps off easily and leaves no damage as the masking tape like Ron suggested protects the surrounding areas. I cut it in two passes. First to establish the cut and the second to cut the rest of the way through. I then block sand the edge with 400 grit on a padded block and then 800 grit to smooth and round the edge. Also, I cut both while they were still mounted on the bike.

GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

All done. As I mentioned, I have two identical shields so I disassembled one and placed it over the one I was cutting and used it as a template.

1) Remove from bike
            2) Masking tape on shield to be cut
            3) Used identical shield as template, dropped it 3.5"
            4) Mark with sharpy
            5) Masking tape on base of jig saw
            6) Cut quickly
            7) Smooth cut with orbital sander and 220 grit

Entire process took about 60 minutes. I ran one quick test cut above my desired cut line. The jig saw with a " Plexiglass" blade cut this lexan quickly and without any melting.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I didn't know there was such a thing-"plexiglass blade" so Thank you! sounds like it went through like cheese and no grabbiness....

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                I didn't know there was such a thing-"plexiglass blade" so Thank you! sounds like it went through like cheese and no grabbiness....

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/bos...102bf-43080-p/
                That's the one. No grabbing or melting.

Comment

Working...
                X