Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH .. I think I lost my captain courageous !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTH .. I think I lost my captain courageous !

Out for a ride this morning through Usery Mountain state park. Nice winding two lane through the desert with great views. So long as you go out early you wont wilt. Bike was behaving so sweet. Throttle response was dead on, it was purring along and the bike temp stayed at about 210.

On the way back at about 9am it was wide open and I figured I would give it a goose and hit some of those turns. Now do to circumstances beyond my control I havent ridden in about 5 years but have been riding since the mid 70's and have owned some 10 bikes.

When I was back in NYC in my 20's I would ride up to bear mountain often and hit those turns feeling like eddie spencer. I was the envy of my riding buddies. No Fear! Lean off that seat like the gods were holding me by my tee shirt and gravity was meaningless.

Today I pushed it to around 60 and leaned into a not so twisty turn and started to throw my leg out to the side and slide my Arse off the seat and went Wooo there buddy .. what the hell are you doing!! and promptly returned to a nice comfortable ..old man .. cruising speed and enjoying the scenery.

I dont know where I left it but I must have set it down somewhere and forgot to bring it but .. My captain courageous is missing!! If you see it .. please let me know.
    Alex

Take your wistful yeoman to Highway 191 between Alpine and Morenci. Hopefully, you find the captain by the time you get to Hannagan Meadow.

There is no better road in the state-and it is one of the great U.S. riding places.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Wisdom shoo's away Captain Courageous. If it doesnt he laughs at us.
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I started out in the late seventies racing dirt bikes then moved on to street bikes. In my younger days, there was absolutely nothing I wouldn't do or at least try. I came off a bike once, laid one down, got hit once and even totaled one out due to a left turner but, I felt like I was bullet proof because in all that, the worst I ever got hurt was a sprained wrist or a skinned knee.
        Now, I won't even attempt any of that because in hindsight, I have realized just how lucky I really was considering how crazy I was.

I lost my Captain Courageous too!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Captain courageous has left the building and been replaced by Mr. calculating and methodical.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl, that's pretty spot on. I still like to open the throttle WFO here and there, but I pick my times and places, and for twisties, I generally avoid the roads that all the squids know and frequent. That said, last time I did a run out to Tortilla Flat, I was ****ed at how many slow, inept Hardley riders were out there, taking up a whole lane only because they didn't have a fecking clue about picking a line.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Great story!

I never rode in my youth so I can't compare my riding because I started at the tender age of 44. My first bike was a gixxer 750 and the guy I bought it from said it was tame. It had safety wire on it and looked like it was track ridden and pretty much done with it's life expectancy.

Enter me...I feared it, then SLOWLY gained confidence and pushed myself to a near fatal situation that left me dazed, all because I did not impede the bike and anticipated a crash landing. It happened so fast I had to check myself to make sure I was passed the danger zone.

Anyway, your wisdom is now your friend...as it is for me and plenty on the GSR. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I found my nerve has increased since I used to ride in the 80s, especially on my 900F. I'm still no Freddie Spencer, though. I remember riding back then and always fearful that I was going to lose traction on the front tire. Maybe compounds are better now as well.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Captain Courageous has flown the coop here...
                  I just don't bounce the same anymore.
                  (Getting old is not for the weak.)
                  I did learn how to tuck & roll, pretty good, though!

Comment

that a##hole will get you killed anyway. Good riddance.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Agreed with Earl.
                      I've generally been a sedate street rider, with the occasional outburst, but back in the day I rode a Honda ATC 250r with equal parts, aggression, confidence, and cockiness to the point that I dubbed myself hill king (we spent a lot of time hillclimbing). Youth is for the young, etc, etc. That behavior would surely bite me in the arse these days.

I think those that are able to admit their skills / confidence have slipped and don't ride in denial, are the most likely to address the situation and continue to enjoy the pleasure of motorcycling.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Gramma Peppermint View Post
                        Captain Courageous has flown the coop here...
                        I just don't bounce the same anymore.
                        (Getting old is not for the weak.)
                        I did learn how to tuck & roll, pretty good, though!
                        My 74 year old mother says something similar, "getting old isn't for sissies".

Lots of perspective is gained with age. I keep reminding myself of that when I have disagreements with my 27 year old daughter.

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

What do you think of middle aged people riding in T shirts and helmetless, with their wife on the back in shorts and sandals?
                          Courageous?
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I try not to think of those folks.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't wanna think for them, and I don't want them thinking for me.
                              As far as pushing the bike through a corner and trusting it to work, my mind is in the right place, but my body rebels…
                              This summer I will not be on the track because I don't wish to spend the money for the half dozen track days it will take to learn my body to trust the tires.
                              Riding on the track you have to accept the eventual crash, and have the health care for recovery.
                              I got a achy shoulder from a crash 6 years ago, don't care for another achy joint or a few someplace else.
                              It's all about slowing the physical attrition process after 60 years.
                              50 years old? GO FOR IT SON!!!!
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X