Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH .. I think I lost my captain courageous !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, are you done with the track, then?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      My 74 year old mother says something similar, "getting old isn't for sissies".

Lots of perspective is gained with age. I keep reminding myself of that when I have disagreements with my 27 year old daughter.

Ed
      That's why I have spent nearly a $1000 in safety riding gear now. Don't bounce like I used too...or slide lol.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        What do you think of middle aged people riding in T shirts and helmetless, with their wife on the back in shorts and sandals?
        Courageous?
        STOOOPID is what they are.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Never had a captain courageous in me, but I've always respected the bike and never pushed my limits. I do ride somewhat spirited whenever possible, though it's more about twisting the throttle than trying to wear out the edges of the tires. It's about knowing your abilities, your state of mind, and training your muscles and mind to do the right thing at the right time. I'd kill for a track day, but it's beyond my budget currently.

I don't have any evidence to support this, but it's entirely likely that you can lose a lot of skill in 5 years of absence from riding. It'll probably come back as long as you ease yourself into it.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Bill, are you done with the track, then?
            Can't or don't wanna answer that. But sure would like to graduate from novice level.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Well said, sir.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

There's a reason why most of the military are young. At those ages you just don't understand mortality like you do now.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That, and the fact that their bodies hold up to the abuse far better, eh?
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    There's a reason why most of the military are young. At those ages you just don't understand mortality like you do now.
                    I was 19 when I joined the Air Force in 1986 and survived living in Los Angeles. I didn't feel invincible as I was not riding a motorcycle back then.

That, and the fact that their bodies hold up to the abuse far better, eh?
                    My body is exhausted now... especially my knees. I should have taken better care of myself so as to not need both my knees scoped.

It truly is a blessing being able to walk.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I've got a torn ACL that surgeons told me wouldn't preclude me from doing the things I enjoy (hiking, bicycling, lifting weights, riding motorcycles), but I couldn't do another police academy. Ah well. I don't ride like a psycho (days of racing on the highways are long gone), haven't been on a dragstrip since 2007, and am seriously contemplating getting a touring bike.

But I do still enjoy romping on the throttle in wide open places and the pleasures of twisty roads.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        I heard another explanation for that in a movie; "because we want them before they become civilians, before they get used to deciding things for themselves". Makes a lot of sense to me.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

That is a pretty profound statement-though not a humane one.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

That is a pretty profound statement-though not a humane one.
                            From the writing staff, technical advisor, director and actor all contributing in their own way. I can only say it stuck in my mind for many years.

Comment

Working...
                            X