Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 GS1100E Splitting the case without removing head. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS1100E Splitting the case without removing head. Is it possible?

Hello fellow GS'ers

I rebuilt my engin a while back and now I am getting oil on my left boot. It's not the starter o-ring, it has been changed and is dry.
    The other thing is it's intermittent, it comes and goes. Once per ride. weird.
    It oil is coming from behind the sprocket cover. Cant figure out where. I will have to clean all the oil, bring tools on next ride and remove the cover when it happens.

My question is it possible to split the case to clean/reapply case gasket seal compound with the head still on?

The thought of having to dismantle it all this time of year sucks balls!

I want a freaking dripping oil free Gs is it even possible?

Thank you.

I think it's possible - here's a schematic of the cases with the bolt patterns:

I don't see any bolts underneath the cylinders (although there's a few inside the sump).

FWIW I remember doing the same on a GPZ900R many years back to replace the starter clutch.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yes it's doable.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not sure about the 1100E, but some bikes have a bolt hidden under the starter, so you will have to be sure to take that out, for sure.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes...you can see the head is still on in these pictures...It is an '83 motor, but no different. I did this to drop in a better transmission.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You don't even need to remove the valve cover.
            Ray.

Comment

You guys are the best!
              There is still hope for a fun oil free summer

Comment

You sure it's not just one of the seals?
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

It's definitely coming from behind the cover and not from the drain holes from the starter or the one going towards the sprocket area or leaky gaskets head, cover or base, dry as a bone.

At least I know that if I have to split it, it can be done.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

It's for sure not the shift shaft seal?

Or is it the rubber seal with the diagonal metal plate at 10 oclock relative to the counter shaft sprocket?

What about the gear position/neutral indicator plastic plate with two phillips head screws? These are all behind the counter shaft cover.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

It looks like it was the gear position sensor. It was the only part covered in oil. If it would have been the sprocket shaft the oil splatter would have been rotational. The shifter shaft was oil free. Added some gasket goop and should be fixed. Ill find out on my next long ride. Thank you for all the info and help.

Comment

Working...
                      X