shim vs screw and locknut adjusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shim vs screw and locknut adjusters

I have read on here that shim adjusters tend to lose clearance over time and that (I think) screw and locknut rocker type tend to loosen over time. Is this a good rule of thumb?
    Reason is I was going to work on my bike tomorrow and debating whether to do valve lash as well. Its only been about 3k kms since the last time IIRC and the manual says 6k kms between adjustments. I seem to have noticed more valve train noise lately.

Screw and locknut need to be adjusted more frequently than shims. Both will reduce in clearance over time as the valves eventually bash their way into the valve seats.

If you notice more noise than yes it's a good idea to check them. Could be a loose tappet which can damage itself if left unchecked.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

When valve clearance gets tighter it gets quieter, does it not? I'm guessing if it's getting noisier it's cam chain noise, unless it screw and locknut system that has loosened and clearance has increased.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

What bike is this for? The '89 Katana in your signature?

Either way, you will not lose much, except for a bit of time and possibly the cost of a new gasket to put your mind at ease by checking the clearances.

Yes, both systems seem to tighten up with wear, and the rate of wear slows down as more miles (kilometers) are piled on, but the screw adjusters have the unique ability to loosen up and change clearance whichever way they want, so do yourself and your bike a favor, check your clearances.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya, ok I will check it, might as well if I am pulling it down as far as I am already going to.
          Compression test, valve lash, oil change, re torque head.

Comment

Personally, I woule re-arrange the order:
            1. re-torque head
            2. valve lash
            3. warm up engine
            4. compression test
            5 oil and filter change

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, I would normally warm up the engine, but I have a bitchy, loud mouth neighbor that hates bikes and my bikes exhaust smells gassy for some reason I havent figured out yet. It even runs at 14-1 AF ratio at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                Yes, I would normally warm up the engine, but I have a bitchy, loud mouth neighbor that hates bikes and my bikes exhaust smells gassy for some reason I havent figured out yet. It even runs at 14-1 AF ratio at idle.
                Blocked air filter perhaps? I'm assuming it still has the airbox?
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

My locknut adjusters have never loosened, one thing I did observe though, after a few years running, they tend to get seasoned and don't require the adjustments all that much. Out of 16 adjusters, seems like I only need to adjust 3-4 at any one time.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Why are you re-torquing the head?
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

On many engines, re-torquing the head is a good idea. I adjusted the valves several times on a V65 Guzzi, for example, and ended up pushing the side out of a head gasket as that spec got lost with age. Heads should be re-torqued before a valve adjustment to re-establish baseline settings. You would be surprised at how pressure on the head bolts changes with age on an XS650 Yamaha.

Comment

Yes, it has the airbox still and an oem type filter, it has an O2 sensor and it reads 14-1 AF ratio at idle. Guess it wouldnèt hurt to take a look at the filter though. I am re torquing the head because the head was off a few thousand ago and I usually recheck it just to make sure. You never know.

Comment

Working...
                        X