Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some general riding questions

I put 500 miles on my bike this weekend and wondered

1) Does anybody carry gas, like even 16 ounces or something with them? How?

2) I have a night guard for grinding teeth, and decided to ride with it, thinking it might be one more level of protection in a crash. Anybody ever ride with a mouthguard? I found it actually pretty comfortable.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Kerry, here's one way:

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Fine idea. I believe I'll get something like that (I saw a 500mL one on ebay for ten bucks).

Yeah, guess who ran out of gas on Thursday? Five miles from a gas station.
      It was drizzling.
      At least I made it to a ride&park at an interstate exit.
      I waited about half an hour for a wrecker to arrive with a 5gal can. Twenty bucks and I was rolling again. I think that wasn't bad.

Comment

Never ran out of gas on a bike with a reserve. I always head to the next station once I flip the reserve on. I always remember to flip it back while filling the tank. Has worked for me so far. Been doing it for over 35 years. My ST1100, on the other hand, has an idiot light that comes on when I only have a gallon. It's dim and hard to see in bright light. With that bike, I just fill up when it's near empty. It does have a 300 mile range though.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Never ran out of gas on a bike with a reserve. I always head to the next station once I flip the reserve on. I always remember to flip it back while filling the tank. Has worked for me so far. Been doing it for over 35 years. My ST1100, on the other hand, has an idiot light that comes on when I only have a gallon. It's dim and hard to see in bright light. With that bike, I just fill up when it's near empty. It does have a 300 mile range though.
          The old CB750s had a turn signal buzzer...at least mine did. You could wire in a small piezo tweeter to that low level light....under the shield somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
            I put 500 miles on my bike this weekend and wondered

1) Does anybody carry gas, like even 16 ounces or something with them? How?

2) I have a night guard for grinding teeth, and decided to ride with it, thinking it might be one more level of protection in a crash. Anybody ever ride with a mouthguard? I found it actually pretty comfortable.
            Been there, done that on my 1st cycle....they don't push well...
            Back in the day you could get a set of panniers that held a gallon each....you'd swing it over the sled's seat, strap it to the rear hand rail or somewhere, for extended range. You think it's hard to find a station when your cycle is empty....try that on a sled!

Comment

There's a stretch or two on I-79 that doesn't have a gas station for 20+ miles... I switched to reserve at first sign of shudder. I think my mileage was adversely affected by the addition of a windshield. At least that's the story I'm stickin to.

Comment

I've never run out gas but I have run out of electricity.
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I carry a piece of hose, 1/4- 3/16, coiled up under the seat. works every time...
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Never ran out of gas, after 120ish miles I need a stretch anyway so gas stop and stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                      I carry a piece of hose, 1/4- 3/16, coiled up under the seat. works every time...
                      Not much help if you're by yourself....

A lot of ADV guys carry these:

Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I ran out of gas, once. Out riding with the wife, low on gas. Thought there was a gas station where we were going, and there wasn't. Had to double back to where I knew there was a station. The engine stalled just as we made the turn into the station.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

did you try tipping the bike over to the left to get that little bit that's stuck on the right side of the tank? doing that has got me a few extra miles more than once.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                            Not much help if you're by yourself....

A lot of ADV guys carry these:
                            wrong. People stop. or I stop for others,
                            If i was planning on running out i would take an MSR bottle
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

A couple weeks ago I had to remove my tank on my GS450 and `prime' my buddies GS550 on the side of the highway...
                              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                              1977 GS550
                              1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                              X