X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by derwood View Post
    wrong. People stop. or I stop for others,
    If i was planning on running out i would take an MSR bottle
    Wrong? Depends entirely on where you are. You're assuming you're going to run out of fuel where there are other people....and that they are going to stop for you. A piece to hose won't get you moving again without someone else to give you fuel.

And nobody I know plans to run out of fuel - you plan to not run out of fuel by taking extra.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

The mouth guard has crossed my mind but I haven't used one. Mainly since my helmet fits so tight on my cheeks and I pretty much always have my jaw clenched and grind teeth a bit in stressful situations.

Fuel shortage was a problem over the weekend but didn't run out. I did run out once or twice on other bikes but as mentioned tipping to the left saved me once and another time I was blessed with a long downhill stretch to the pump.

Check out this mod. Ugly but effective if you're planning a long trip in an area with few gas stations.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I carry a piece of hose, 1/4- 3/16, coiled up under the seat. works every time...
        I carry 3 feet of hose in a flat 1.5 liter plastic bottle under my rear rack- I got 60 years experience at siphoning gas and I don't want to lose my touch
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I used to keep a 1 gallon fuel can strapped on my bike for all my long GS trips when I had the 650L, the tank is just so tiny and you end up filling it even after 50 miles for fear or running out again... especially coming back from Moosehead lake in Maine at night when lots of gas stations are closed and it can easily be 100+ miles between stations and fully loaded going a bit too fast my range was sometimes 80-100 miles. I also disliked having like 1/3 my tank "reserve" so always rode using the full tank so an external backup was important.

Comment

We use the Rotopax on the atv's and they make a little 1 gallon that you could try. https://rotopax.com/1-gallon-gasoline.html

I had thought about mounting one on my bike for that "feeling of security" on long rides.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
              Wrong? Depends entirely on where you are. You're assuming you're going to run out of fuel where there are other people....and that they are going to stop for you. A piece to hose won't get you moving again without someone else to give you fuel.

And nobody I know plans to run out of fuel - you plan to not run out of fuel by taking extra.
              semantics, you were still wrong, lots of use for 3 ft of hose, even travelling by yourself.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

semantics, you were still wrong, lots of use for 3 ft of hose, even travelling by yourself.
                Do you have the hose filled with gas? Seriously, how does a piece of hose get you out of trouble when there's no one else around?

FWIW I've travelled with a siphon hose but it was when I was travelling with 2 other bikes as my Intruders' range was 150 miles at best. Never had to use it though. Sold that bike to my brother who ended up putting on an auxiliary tank.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Think he was implying finding a parked car and say a gatorade bottle and "finding" some gas on his own.

Comment

Working...
                  X