Missing side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing side stand

So.... someone before me thought it would be a good idea to cut off the side stand on my newly acquired 81 gs550. Do you have any idea what aftermarket stands would fit?

Can you even get aftermarket side stands?

What do you mean by "cut off"? Have the actual mounts on the frame been ground down?
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Fryer View Post
      So.... someone before me thought it would be a good idea to cut off the side stand on my newly acquired 81 gs550. Do you have any idea what aftermarket stands would fit?
      What is being used now, the center stand? Can you post a pic, I can't understand why someone would cut it off when it can easily be removed by removing a single bolt and nut. Dime City Cycles offers weld on custom side stands for one inch tubing.http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-104-0013.html
      We had on mounted on a Sportster 1200 at work that had a broken kick stand. It's clean has an internal spring and ball bearing lock system. it works, but I would have tried to use a bigger bearing to keep it in the up position.
      Last edited by gsrick; 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes, they cut the mounting point off the frame!?! I'll get a picture.

Comment

Not the best picture, but here it is.
          Attached Files

Comment

That's a first for me. To use an aftermarket stand you'll have to finish the job and clean up and area to mount the new one. If you would prefer to use a stock stand, you may want to find someone that is parting out a 550 with out a title and have them cut the frame where the stand is then carefully cutaway the welds and install it on your frame. The stand I posted may not have proper clearance with duel sock exhaust as the are designed for customized bike, such as cafe, bobbers and choppers, that usually run the exhaust down the opposite side.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I'll start looking for an old one for sale then.

Comment

Working...
              X