Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New motor clutch help

Motor 81 450 going into 82 model year

Hey im finally getting around to installing my new motor, (i have it in time and the tensioner in, new gaskets)

Im noticing an issue, when i place the sprocket cover on tension the clutch cable. When i use the clutch lever it just feels like i have the tension in the lever from the return spring (I dont think the clutch is dis-engaging (new clutch))

Couple things
    1: My old motor i was able to pull the clutch rod completely out of the block, and cannot do so on this motor

2: on the new motor it feels like the rod gets stuck when i push it in about .5" (no resistance for the first .5" )

3: Im able to get the motor into gear (motor not running, havent gotten that far yet)

4: I adjusted the screw inside the cover to where it begins to touch the clutch rod.

Any recommendations?

Summary:
    Clutch lever feels dead, only feel the return spring in the cover.

Take the clutch cover off and have a look - might be gummed up / stuck plates (??)
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

then the clutch push rod is two pieces
      Suzuki Gs450ez 1982 (z) Usa (e03) Clutch - schematic partsfiche

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        The later motors had two piece pushrods and the outer half pulled out; the early ['80] ones were one piece. If you've had the clutch apart and missed the little thrust bearing or otherwise screwed up, it's possible that the pushrod won't contact the pressure plate and there's no resistance.

The rod should protrude 43.5mm from the retainer plate, plus or minus wear on the clutch plates.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

so that explains
          1: My old motor i was able to pull the clutch rod completely out of the block, and cannot do so on this motor

as to why the clutch isn't being pushed? well..you can take the right side's cover off and actually see the clutch being "dis-engaged" when it is working. it's a pretty simple thing. rod pushes,clutch disengages...
          As to why it is not-?well,( and I'm guessing the rod you can pull is not severely bent..it'd be noticeable if you couldn't line it up when putting the left cover back on..) sooo, if
          ALL THE PARTS ARE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE and
          YOU HAVE IT LINED UP TO THE COVER AND THE "HELIX-THINGY THE CABLE ATTACHES TO and
          THE SLACK IS ADJUSTED OUT AT SAID HELIX-THINGY , before adjusting cable,so moving the clutch lever at the handlebar ALMOST IMMEDIATELY CONTACTS THAT PUSHROD,

then, it should work.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Ill see what happens.
            Its brand new clutch friction plates. (not the metal ones, reusing the metal plates) so im guessing they are sticking. The motor turns over freely, not making any noise and smooth

I may start the motor let it run and see if there is any improvement (if i have to open the case again its not a big deal i want to flush the motor out a couple of times before i actually drive it) This motor had some sort of gasket failure and it appears it may have gotten to the top end of the case i cleaned it out the best i could.

Comment

Edit.

After playing with the adjustment in the sprocket cover(again) i have a very nice clutch feel, im wondering if the plates were just not co-operating yesterday.

Thanks for the advice! Im happy to bring my gs450 back to life!

Comment

Working...
              X