Removing front shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing front shocks

Hi, looking for any help with this. Have the wheel/brake caliper off, all clamp bolts out, and the forks are loose and moving up and down, but these hex bolts are bigger than the diameter of the tube/hole...do I wedge the pinch open or pound them through? Is this weird?
    Attached Files

Those are not OEM fork caps. You will have to take them off before you can slide the tubes out of the triple clamps. The easiest way is to clamp the fork tube using the lower triple to prevent it spinning, then remove the cap. Be careful as the cap comes near the end of its thread engagement, if the spring still has preload against the cap it will want to tear out the last couple threads and pop loose. Push down on the cap as you unscrew it to prevent this.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Oh man thanks so much for the info. Was almost ready to pull out the sawzall. Thanks again. Will post update after job is done

Comment

What the whatwhat are those things? Was this an aftermarket thing from the '80s, or someone's machine shop class project?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Have never seen anything like that. Yep they are gonna have to come off.

What all are you planning while the forks are apart? New springs are HIGHLY recommended.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            What the whatwhat are those things? Was this an aftermarket thing from the '80s, or someone's machine shop class project?
            Lol I have no idea. Old guy from my church asked me if I wanted a motorcycle so I said sure...this the way she came. Couple other weird things on it too. 4 into 1 exhaust (off an 850??) and the previous owner to the guy that hooked me up painted a bunch of it black with a brush...there was a pressure gauge on the left side fork cap. Seemed weird to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Have never seen anything like that. Yep they are gonna have to come off.

What all are you planning while the forks are apart? New springs are HIGHLY recommended.

i hope to do a full overhaul of this thing as I go along so definitely will be replacing as much as I can. Don't intend to ride it anytime soon so I got time.

Comment

Update

Thanks for help guys. Got the caps off and tubes out. Pulled the triple clamp and 200 ball bearing hit the floor so I guess I'll chalk that up to rookie mistake...
                Attached Files

Comment

Triple clamp off
                  Attached Files

Comment

Replace the ball bearings with tapered ones. Go to http://www.allballsracing.com/
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by jerpare80 View Post
                      Thanks for help guys. Got the caps off and tubes out. Pulled the triple clamp and 200 ball bearing hit the floor so I guess I'll chalk that up to rookie mistake...
                      Sounds like a great time to install a set of tapered roller bearings.

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      Replace the ball bearings with tapered ones. Go to http://www.allballsracing.com/
                      +1.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Sounds like a great time to install a set of tapered roller bearings.

+1.

Mark
                        thanks guys! Will add this to the Christmas list

Comment

Working...
                        X