Finding neutral when rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding neutral when rolling

My 81 1100e has a problem slipping into neutral as I roll to a stop. It's a miracle if I can find it from second gear, and then It can be equally as difficult to find it from first. If I roll the bike a little bit or let the clutch out a little and then pull it back in and try again, I can usually find it without too much trouble. Likewise , with the engine off , I can move the rear wheel a little bit and find a spot where it will easily click from first to neutral to second and back. That tells me that I don't have a problem with that spring number 21 that I've read so much about. It seems to me that it also rules out the clutch, but I honestly don't know. I started with this bike two years ago with a stuck clutch. It had been sitting for at least 15 years, outside, but I got everything working fine. The steels did measure thin though, at 1.9 mm, vs min spec of 1.94, and the friction plates measured 2.9 to min spec of 2.9, according to Clymer. The springs were fine, the steels were flat, and there was no excessive gouging on the clutch basket. All other shifting is fine. I don't know how the clutch plates would be that thin after only 20,000 miles, but it seems to still work fine with good engagement and no slippage. I have a brand-new clutch cable but no amount of adjustment makes this problem even slightly better. I suppose I should buy a whole new OEM clutch (all plates and springs), which is about $250 from Babbitts, but I'm not convinced that would solve this problem. What do you think is going on?
    Last edited by gplouff; 06-13-2017, 04:52 PM.

What possible reason do you have for not staying in gear with clutch lever drawn in.
    Fiddling with neutral and not being in an immediate state allowing for quick movement is dangerous.

I have driven many bikes and none were easy to find neutral on.
    True of my 550 and much better shifting 1300
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I've had issues like you describe and fixed it by replacing the clutch plates. Before going to that extreme I measured the parts like you did and everything seemed reasonable. Based on that I'm of the belief that measuring those parts is difficult and doesn't tell the whole story.

Of course this assumes you have the cable properly adjusted. On my bike I was running almost no freeplay but the issue persisted regardless.

If you replace the plates I recommend the OEM parts. They are not cheap, but going OEM eliminates questions.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Try adjusting the clutch cable with the adjuster at the bars......if there isnt enough threads left on the adjuster turn it IN till its about half way back in the perch. Then do the major adjustment down at the clutch cover till you get the lever almost fully closed. THEN... use the adjuster at the bars to readjust while trying to get N from a dead stop with the engine running. Many times its a cable adjustment issue that doesnt release enough pressure off the clutch that makes it bind and then suddenly "snap past " Neutral and fall into 1st or 2nd gear.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's all to do with clutch drag loading the gear dogs and making neutral selection notchy. Yes, the film of oil between the separated plates...

btw, it is good practice when sitting at red lights to have the bike in neutral, left foot down, right foot up and rear brake on. The procedure is called the Croydon Shuffle: http://www.600riders.com/forum/archi...p/t-18115.html I expect many to disagree about this

the best solution to neutral finding difficulties is to buy a Kawasaki. At a standstill they only go into neutral from first. You have to be rolling in order to go 1-2

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post

the best solution to neutral finding difficulties is to buy a Kawasaki. At a standstill they only go into neutral from first. You have to be rolling in order to go 1-2
            You need to get out more if you think only Kawasaki's do this.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

To the OP - what do you have your idle set at? A high idle can sometimes cause difficulties finding neutral.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Jonathan.....I have it in gear at lights with room for me to hit a shoulder if need be. In first gear, both feet planted, and eyeballing the mirror for anything that looks like its not gonna stop in time behind me. Time spent shifting to gear is time wasted that just may PREVENT you from getting out of the way in time. You do whatever you want to though.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My idle is at 1100. I've tried every possible clutch adjustment including no free play. I had several of these bikes back in the day, and I don't remember any of them being this problematic around neutral. Suzukis were better than the Kawasaki's with their engines, transmissions, and frames. All the rest of my shifts are smooth, just like I remember. So far I haven't seen anybody tell me to tear things apart and buy parts. That means I can still run it and fun, which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Comment

You wont hurt anything in the motor by riding it just with neutral being hard to find.

If you cant "fix" it with cable / idle adjustment then it's probably the clutch plates (there's not much left to look at).

I guess it depends on whether the problem annoys you enough to spend $250 on a new clutch pack.
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

This bike had rust on every fastener and a seized chain when I got it. It's downright fun now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

AND antigravitational as well....LOL

Comment

iPhone issues.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice bike. Gives one a certain pride when returning what other had written off to a state of useablility again. Then the reward of her returning to the open road with you as the pilot...cant beat it !!!!
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-13-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

My '79 550 has the same issue (if you want to call it that), as does my friends '82 Z500, and my brother's '81 Yama SR250 to a lesser extent. My '14 Guzzi does find Neutral easily.

In my experience with the bikes above, I found that bikes with a "short" gear actuation path (not sure how to call it) are temperamental finding Neutral, those with a longer one usually are not. OTOH, from a standstill, the latter sometimes don't fall into gear as easily.

But I have yet to check/replace the clutch pack on the 550, so take my experience as you want.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                              X