confused about side-cover hardware setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused about side-cover hardware setup

Hello, all. So the hardware for the gs750 side covers has me confused. The top hangers/cushions are self explanatory. But there are four new OEM components to fasten the bottom: screw, washer, cushion, spacer. It looks like the cushion is designed to be inserted through the hole in the side cover tab, which would provide a rubber cushion between the washer and the outside of the side cover as well as a cushion between the threaded frame mount and the inside of the side cover. The spacer fits inside of the cushion, but the outside diameter of the spacer is larger than the inside diameter of the side cover tab hole. And I've destroyed one new cushion trying to lube it and stuff it through said hole. I don't see why the cushion would be designed like it is if it were meant to just sit between the side cover tab and the frame mount. Plus, the screw is not long enough to gain purchase on the threaded frame mount if the cushion were mounted in this way.

Do I have parts mixed up? I don't think so....

What am I missing?

Thanks.

What year bike? I have a 1978 and the way you described is correct. The cushion is fitted into the hole in the side cover, the spacer is then inserted into the cushion and the washer and screw hold it onto the bike. The spacer should not be very difficult to get into the cushion. You may have the wrong parts. Hope this helps!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Yea...that's what I thought: this shouldn't be this hard. It's a '77; should be same as '78. I checked parts numbers on both Partzilla and RonAyers. I'll look again...

Comment

I've had good luck with partsoutlaw.com. Plus use the code "bang" and get $1.50 shipping!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Nice! They're cheap, too. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X