Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping wheels, '82 GS450L

Hello everybody,

I did some looking around, but didn't the info I was looking for. I'm working on my 450L, and while I'm just trying to get it put back together right now, I'm getting the planning stages of some mods going. I'd like to swap the wheels out on it, or at least the back. I'm a huge fan of the GS star wheels and want to stay with them.

My L has the standard 19" front and 16" rear wheels. I'm trying to figure out what models have the star wheels in 18" that I can use, at least the rear one. I'm not opposed to keeping the 19" front. I would consider swapping to a disk brake on the back as long as it's not rocket surgery. If the back wheel from another model would work with the matching swingarm that would be fine too.

I'll be hitting up the local bike junkyard Friday, and I'm told he has a lot of old Suzuki stuff around. If anyone knows which models to look for I would be grateful.

Thanks,
    Jake

E models had an 18" rear. T's are 17". The 18" is a 1.85 and doesn't like tires wider than 100/90 although you can fit whatever clears the swing arm and chain. The 17" is a 2.15 and will run a 120/90 and ends up about the same overall diameter as the 18'. I'd keep the 19 front as it's a 1.85 rim and the front 18s are a silly 1.60 wide.

Switching to rear disc is for when you've run out of useful challenges.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Is there something wrong with the 16" wheel you have on the back now? Switching that to an 18" wheel will raise the back of the bike a full inch, which will change the steering characteristics. One way to offset that would be to install shocks that are an inch shorter, but then you have the potential of having the top of the tire hit the inner fender under the seat.

As John Park mentioned, swapping to a disc brake is possible, but is it really worth it? I have not compared the weights of the two systems, but I think the drum setup might be a bit lighter. It will certainly never leak any fluid. If you use your brakes properly, the rear shoes will probably never wear out.

What is the incentive for changing to an 18" wheel, whether you go with a disc or not?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys

Nothing is wrong with the 16", as far as I know. I really just prefer the look of the 18", and the long term goal is to switch to dual sport type tires. I'm fine with keeping the drum, it seems to be functional.

As far as changing the handling, I have yet to actually ride the bike. So far it's just been me pushing it around making engine noises

I'll keep the handling/ride height concerns in mind and do some reading on the subject. Is this due to the differences in the frames between an E and an L? I won't be making any drastic changes for some time yet. I've got the bike running, and I'm waiting on a stock airbox now.

So, the short version is that the rear 18" wheel from a GS450E will bolt right up to my L model.

Thanks again,
        Jake

Comment

Originally posted by RBS View Post
          So, the short version is that the rear 18" wheel from a GS450E will bolt right up to my L model.
          Yes, it will, and it will change the handling, not necessarily for the better.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yes, it will, and it will change the handling, not necessarily for the better.

Duly noted Steve. I still wonder if it's due to frame differences between the different sub-models.

Comment

Yes, there are some differences in the frame, but it's mostly because you will be raising the back of the bike and changing the angle of the entire frame, which includes the steering neck. The angle will be more straight up and down, making the handling quicker, possibly even bordering on "twitchy".

Those differences in the frame are what sets it up to use the 16" wheel on the back and a 19" wheel on the front. Other differences will accomodate the different tank that was on the L models.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

That's about what I figured. If I can't find a good compromise to compensate for the setup differences, I'll likely just live with my L rear wheel.

Thanks Steve!

Comment

An 18" wheel will raise the rear an inch IF the tire size is the same. A 120/90 16 [I'm guessing as to what is on there now] is about 625mm diameter and a100/90 18 is about 640mm so the difference in height is half of 640 - 625 or 8mm; 5/8 inch.

The wider tire will slow steering a bit, maybe…. a 120/90 17 is about 650 high and would be about a full half inch taller. That's what I would do, for tire selection reasons as well. If you think that a half inch higher in the butt is going to noticeably affect handling, I'd consider doing something to the front to raise it the same, considering that it's probably majorly soft and saggy anyway.

A wider rear tire will also theoretically wear somewhat longer, as long as it isn't pinched up too much on a narrow rim. Changes to the front wheel and tire are far more noticeable than rear, IMO.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

I hadn't considered different sidewall heights in this either. Obviously this would be limited by tire availability.

The rear tire I have now doesn't matter as it's flat and old, and I can't even get it to seat on the rim to roll around on.

Comment

Anyone know offhand if the brake assembly is interchangeable between the L model 16" wheel and the E model 18" wheel? I found an 18" wheel in the junkyard, but not sure how many parts I would need to take.

Comment

I think they're the same. The spoke 18" wheels are definitely different, but the cast ones should be the same. I'd check some part numbers on cmsnl.com to be sure though.
                        '82 GS450T

Comment

I'd guess so too. They definitely swap between my 81T 17" and 81E 18"...my bikes have gsx engines but I am pretty sure wheels are the same as yours. Also fit the next years tubeless rims ...(82-83)

Comment

Working...
                          X