Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front master cylinder 82 GS650G Model Z tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front master cylinder 82 GS650G Model Z tricks?

Hey fellas,

I'm currently attempting to rebuild the front master cylinder, I'm using P/N: 59600-49811 to swap out the piston.

Here's the issue... it wont budge! I've pulled the dust seal and removed the snap-ring but the piston will not move past where the snap-ring was seated. It looks to me that the washer has melded with the bore and wont give.

I've soaked it for 3 days in WD-40 to no avail and now I'm ready for ritual sacrifice if necessary.

What are your thoughts, tips, tricks, Voodoo spells for getting it out or is there simply a button I need to push?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

P.S.:Will post Pics in a minute or two.

If you can push the piston further in and then use emery cloth or fine wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to clean up the bore, you might be able to do enough good to get it out of there. It will be rather awkward. Maybe wrap a dowel loosely with wet/dry, leave the nose of the dowel clear, then push and turn.

And sometimes you just have to post in "parts wanted" or hit up fleaBay for a rebuildable MC with less corrosion.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The groove where the circlip is located is more than likely burred up and preventing the piston from moving out. You might be able to push the piston in and get some emery paper onto the grooved area to smooth this out but it might just be fubar'd.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Beaten to the punch.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

My computer seems to think that I can only post one picture at a time
          IMG_20170614_174915.jpg

Comment

Next Image!
            IMG_20170614_174745.jpg

Comment

Next Image!
              IMG_20170614_174625.jpg

Comment

You folks are quick!

I'll give the sand paper a go tomorrow, hopefully it's salvageable since I've already got the kit.

Comment

Another thing you could try is compressed air in the banjo bolt hole with your thumb over the holes inside the reservoir. Wrap the MC up in a shop rag so the piston doesn't fly across the room.
                  Current:

Past:

Comment

I had one that was stuck like that and the what I had to do was to drill a hole in the master cyl at the opposite end of the bore to drive out the piston assy. Once all cleaned up I tapped it 1/8 pipe thread and put a allen head brass plug to seal it. Now no sweat if it happens again.
                    1980 GS1000E

Comment

​Might be easier to work on if you removed it from the bike...?
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        ​Might be easier to work on if you removed it from the bike...?
                        Yes it would be, however my landlord has a strict no automotive spillage in the parking lot rule and I'm worried the exposed brake line would drip.

I also am lacking a bench/kitchen table.

Comment

I have resorted to drilling a small hole into the plunger, installed a self taping screw and used a claw hammer or something similar to slowly pry the piston out, piston is still usable if needed.

The two I had to remove this way were stuck firm and required a fair amount of force to pry out, surprising how hard it was to get them out, but once out easy to clean up the rust and corrosion in the bore with 2000 grit paper & WD40 or similar.

Good Luck

David.
                          Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 06-17-2017, 10:40 PM.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Yes it would be, however my landlord has a strict no automotive spillage in the parking lot rule and I'm worried the exposed brake line would drip.

I also am lacking a bench/kitchen table.
                            You have a problem alright but why not buy some poly sheet and park the bike on it? nail the poly to sticks to give it an edge around, like a swimming pool. Also, rags-newspaper,overalls to soak up. And cover your tank always...Get some old shoes that NEVER cross the threshhold of your apartment building...and nitrile mechanics workgloves to keep your hands clean. These are suprising good nowadays as to feel and grip...

The brakeline won't lose much from the top anyways. The above is overkill for just this, but overall useful for the day you must make a drip or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              My computer seems to think that I can only post one picture at a time.
                              It's not your computer.

Since you are attaching pictures, you are, indeed, limited to one per post. If you host your pictures at a public hosting site (Imgur, Photobucket, etc.), you can copy the IMG link and paste the link in your post. By doing that, you can do up to 10 pictures per post.

Tips when doing that:
                              - In Photobucket, you can set your preferences to automatically re-size uploaded pictures. I have mine set to 800 pixels on the long side. This has several advantages. 1. It saves space on Photobucket's servers and my space alloted on them. 2. It provides a decent size on virtually any computer screen, without scrolling to see the whole picture. 3. When someone loads the page, it loads quicker, because it's a smaller file.
                              - When posting links, be sure to press the ENTER key between links, to prevent pictures from stacking up side-to-side, which requires scrolling sideways to see them all. It also extends the lines of text in that post, making it hard to read. Even better is to hit the ENTER key twice between links. That gives a blank line as a border between pictures, making them easier to see.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X