Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oily greasy engine

Looking for any input...

The front of my engine ('78 750) is quite greasy all over the cooling fins just below the exhaust ports. Wondering if this is just a common theme among 40 year old engines...easily fixable? should i be worried? New gaskets maybe? Thanks for any help

Jeremy

I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but it should be an easy fix by replacing gaskets. My personal experience with valve cover gaskets is some of the cheap gaskets will leak and the OEM are built better and worth the extra few bucks.
    Also, be careful using certain cleaners on the motor. I used some "Purple Power" on mine. It cleaned up the motor nice, but really messed up the finish on the side covers and stuff.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Probably but which ones?
      Standard advice is clean it all up and then see where it's coming from.
      There are lots of possibilities. Valve cover gasket, tacho drive seal, headgasket, camshaft seals, outer headbolts.
      A leak from the inner parts of the valve cover i.e. where the sparkplugs are can make it's way forward and exit between the exhaust ports and look a lot like head gasket at first glance.
      Pictures would be a big help.
      There is some how to info in here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      Top left just below the manuals and wiring diagrams.
      Haven't used it myself in a while.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'm sure one of the gurus here will give you the info you need.

You'll probably also get advise to adjust the valves while youre in there... and it sounds like that may be very good advise.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

The head has drain holes near the exhaust ports to let accumulated water escape. If your valve cover gasket leaks it allows the oil to escape as well. Your valves surely need adjustment if you have never done them.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
            I'm sure one of the gurus here will give you the info you need.

You'll probably also get advise to adjust the valves while youre in there... and it sounds like that may be very good advise.
            thanks for the info...you're right. looks like im into the valves

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Probably but which ones?
              There are lots of possibilities. Valve cover gasket, tacho drive seal, headgasket, camshaft seals, outer headbolts.
              A leak from the inner parts of the valve cover i.e. where the sparkplugs are can make it's way forward and exit between the exhaust ports and look a lot like head gasket at first glance.
              There is some how to info in here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              thanks for the reply. I've got the motor out and hope to do a bunch of maintenance to it over the next little while so ill be checking for all those things...and ill add a picture to the thread later to give everyone a better idea of what i got going on, though im sure many of you guys had it figured already. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                The head has drain holes near the exhaust ports to let accumulated water escape. If your valve cover gasket leaks it allows the oil to escape as well. Your valves surely need adjustment if you have never done them.
                I just got the bike a few months ago and have been tearing it down and ive got time so i want to go through all the things i can, so this will go on the list as i have no idea what either of the POs wouldve done. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Probably but which ones?
                  heres a shot of the grime. How do you feel about laquer thinner to clean it? I use it to clean my hands (with A LOT of soap and warm water after)...it cuts right through the grease I find. Maybe harmful to rubber or plastic...or gaskets?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X