Suzuki GS450(?) Carb Rebuild Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS450(?) Carb Rebuild Help?

Hello! I just got my first motorcycle! I have been looking for information all over and am having trouble finding it, along with the parts I need. I was hoping to reach out here and get some assistance if anyone has advice or the knowledge to help me. The carbs are seized on the bike, I have removed them and taken one partially apart. I will be removing the air box and adding pod filters.

I am having trouble finding the correct rebuild kits / parts for this carb. I would like to freshen it up and make it run like new again. I also know I have to change the jets around to accommodate the new pod filters if I am not mistaken. (My understanding is I have to level out the fuel / air mixture again with the pod filters.) In the process of taking one of the carbs apart, the main jet broke inside and can no longer be removed with a flat head driver. I was going to use an easy out on this to remove it and simply replace it with a different jet.

Do you guys have suggestions or recommendations of places that sell parts? Do you guys have a specific set of recommended parts for a setup like this already? Or should i just keep swapping the jets out until i find the magic mixture? I just dont know if it would be better to try and find a pair of working free carbs, or rebuild my current ones.

Hey welcome to the forum - the GS450's are awesome!
    You'll find tons of info, diagrams, tutorials for your GS here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

As for the carbs, unless they are beyond salvage, you'll need to do a full cleaning which involves either ultrasonic cleaner or 24 hours in a carb dip bucket, then carb spray and compressed air through all the passages. There is NO substitute for this. It's not bad, especially on the twins.

Theres no need for a `rebuilt kit', so to speak (waste of money for inferior parts). Just a set of new rubber O-rings from cycleorings.com should do the trick. Most people here are going to recommend you get your bike running well before tackling pods but it's up to you and many people have done it and can give you guidance. Just know that it will cost money and TIME to experiment to get it right. Make sure get good pods - APE and K&N are your best bets but you can also use the UNI foam ones (thats what I have).

Post some pictures of your carbs (and bike) and it might be able to assess the situation a little better...

As for the stripped jet, take your time, soak it in some penetrating oil and maybe use some heat. If you can slot it with a dremel, try that first before the ez-out.

I get my genuine mikuni jets from jetsrus.com.
    You can order OEM parts from partsoutlaw.com and get $1.50 shipping using the code BANG.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sam000lee; 06-15-2017, 12:24 PM.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
      Hey welcome to the forum - the GS450's are awesome!
      You'll find tons of info, diagrams, tutorials for your GS here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

As for the carbs, unless they are beyond salvage, you'll need to do a full cleaning which involves either ultrasonic cleaner or 24 hours in a carb dip bucket, then carb spray and compressed air through all the passages. There is NO substitute for this. It's not bad, especially on the twins.

Theres no need for a `rebuilt kit', so to speak (waste of money for inferior parts). Just a set of new rubber O-rings from cycleorings.com should do the trick. Most people here are going to recommend you get your bike running well before tackling pods but it's up to you and many people have done it and can give you guidance. Just know that it will cost money and TIME to experiment to get it right. Make sure get good pods - APE and K&N are your best bets but you can also use the UNI foam ones (thats what I have).

Post some pictures of your carbs (and bike) and it might be able to assess the situation a little better...

As for the stripped jet, take your time, soak it in some penetrating oil and maybe use some heat. If you can slot it with a dremel, try that first before the ez-out.

I get my genuine mikuni jets from jetsrus.com.
      You can order OEM parts from partsoutlaw.com and get $1.50 shipping using the code BANG.

Good luck!
      Thanks for the advice on the jet! It is the one in the float bowl. Ill check out the resources you provided, see if i can get some new jets and o-rings! I do have a can of chem-dip and can of spray carb cleaner. Ive got access to a ultra sonic cleaner, and once i get all the bits out ill toss it all in and clean it up. I took the top diaphragm off and the cylinder thing with the rubber boot does not move at all. Again thanks for the info so far!

I can not remove the air box either for some reason, any suggestions for that? I really dont want to remove the engine to remove the air box. I dont want to destroy it, in case i want to use it or sell it in the future. Ive got the rear fender off, the battery tray out, all wires are hanging off the side of the bike out of the way. I still cant get it out, its pretty much just frame trapping this box =(

Comment

Originally posted by TinkersCustom View Post
        I can not remove the air box either for some reason, any suggestions for that? I really dont want to remove the engine to remove the air box. I dont want to destroy it, in case i want to use it or sell it in the future. Ive got the rear fender off, the battery tray out, all wires are hanging off the side of the bike out of the way. I still cant get it out, its pretty much just frame trapping this box =(
        That would only be the first step in your "pod adventure".

Sad, but true, to remove the 450 airbox in one piece, the engine needs to come out first.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have nothing to add but "Welcome fellow Texan".
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
          X