Gear Indicator Switch Maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator Switch Maintenance.

My gear indicators have worked well since I got the bike and repaired the harness under the tank but lately it sometimes fails to show 3rd gear. Most others faults of this nature have been related to bulbs or the harness. I could always get it show by applying light pressure to the gear lever so I knew the problem was around there.

I couldn't find any photos on the forum regarding this switch, so here's what I did on my 850.

Remove the gear lever.

Remove the four bolts securing the primary transmission cover.

then you are faced with this...

You can see the switch in the dark recesses, held in with 2 cross head screws.

Remove the screws and it pops out...

Clean up the contacts with whatever you have handy. I used electrical cleaner/degreaser and a fine brass wire brush. In the photo you can see a ring where the contact pin has worn the switch over the years but it's still good.

When reinstalling check that the contact pin is still in place or nothing will work. Ask me how I know
    You can pull the pin and clean that too while you're in there, I used a pair of needle pliers to remove and replace. Watch for the spring behind it too.

*Handy Tip* The second time I went in, I put a piece of 3/4 inch wood under one side of the centre stand to stop that small drip of oil.

So, now it's all good again and no more annoying niggly missing 3rd gear.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

be carful tightening I broke one once very brittle with age and heat cycles
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
    X