Gs550E countershaft seals didn't seal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550E countershaft seals didn't seal.

Hi I've finally got my bike running really well, but noticed a countershaft seal leak, I decided to replace the inner and out seals while I was at it.
    After fitting the new seals I noticed they are still leaking so pulled those ones out the thing is it's leaking from the inside which seams unusual for a new seal. The shaft feels as though it has ridges in it.

Should I look for a new gearbox? Also what does the first seal do because I think by the looks of it oil comes out the holes around the shaft between the seals?

so the crud inscribed a groove No spring int he lip of these I assume?

I imagine this could be fixed with welding and grinding but what a chore to get the shafts out and available to work on.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They have a springed lip, one thing I might try after thinking about it is to see if the back to sump drain hole between the seals is blocked. Wonder if oil trapped between to the seals may build up pressure? Another thing is do you even need the first seal? I may try a wider outer seal to try get a lip to seal a little further along the shaft. I think by the time a get the shaft out to weld it in that scenario it might be easier to stick another in.

Comment

Working...
      X