Introduction! Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction! Hello!

I have excitedly just bought a 1978 GS550 that has starting and running problems. Other than that the motorcycle is in pretty good shape (my opinion)!

I am mechanically inclined as long as I do my reading first. I've worked on my Honda Prelude on all kinds of things. I've read a lot about engines and have preferences towards specific style engines (incline six cylinders are my favorite). Something I realized the other day... cars have the potential to be incredibly amazing... but 96% of them are nowhere near that potential. Most of them are just basic consumer autos. Motorcycles, in comparison, are imperfect machines in every way. And that's what I think makes them awesome. This is just my weird way of looking at it.

I really got into motorcycles watching youtube videos and a China blogger who loves motorcycles as well. I never had a taste for them until I saw people who truly loved them riding them and building them. I love their styling, I love the customizing, and I love the freedom to be able to hop and ride. I love the sense of community and the attention/curiosity people have towards motorcycles. I've also seen a lot of videos showing the darker side of humanity, mostly people driving cars demonstrating their hatred.

I am fully willing to put time and effort into making this motorcycle something that reflects myself and that I'm proud of. I actually want to go towards the "Cafe Racer" look... although I might want something more apt for adventuring as well. I am short, 5'6", and I definitely need to modify this seat so it's more comfortable for me and I can get my heals on the ground.

Welcome. Sounds like you're of good mind to do the required work to get the 550 running properly.

I have to disagree a bit on your philosophy on cycles imperfections though. They are the perfect way to transport ones body and soul to a different level, even if for a short time.... a subject for a different thread though... wrenching is a means to an end for me...

Anyways, post some pics and enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome! This is a great place to learn and share about GS motorcycles and more! Stick around
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Another Wisconsin GSer! --- Welcome.
        This forum can help you in so many ways it is not possible to list them all
        From carbs to electrics to suspension and tires - brakes and all things valves (shims too)
        A wealth of information and knowledge - you have found the right place.
        If you are new to motorcycles ? - then I wonder if you are also new to riding them?
        Get yourself to a MSF course and learn how to pilot one of these things...the skin you save will be your own -
        Wrench well - Ride safe !
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
        X