Smoldering while jumper-cables connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoldering while jumper-cables connected

Firstly, I am brand-new to these forums and motorcycles...

1978 GS550

I was jumping the motorcycle because I was trying to diagnose ignition problems. The motorcycle has starting/running problems. The owner I bought it from, and me, have thought that it was carburetor related since it's quite an old bike, common problem, etc.

but when jumping and turning it over I had the spark plugs out and ground-jumped and noticed none of them are producing a spark. I was getting "antsy" thinking I've found the problem but when I came back down with my meter I noticed some smoke coming out from under the gas tank. I immediately removed the jumper cables and sat and watched to make sure nothing bad was going to happen.

I'm wondering if that was the rectifier.... I'm wondering if I found the problem and it finally burned up... or if I merely created another problem. If that last statement is true then I would be wondering this: "Can I not jump a motorcycle like a car?"

Some assistance, and restraint, would be helpful.

The car must not be running......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

coils got hot from not being allowed to discharge properly I assume.
      Try doing one plug at a time.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        The car must not be running......
        Thank you. I appreciate this. Really. It was suggested to me by someone that they got their motorcycle started by leaving the car running. I actually tried starting it yesterday using only a battery. But, as usual when listening to other people, I decided to try "his way" before actually looking it up to see if it was safe. It clearly is not.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        coils got hot from not being allowed to discharge properly I assume.
        Try doing one plug at a time.
        Any other components that could have potentially been damaged? Would the magneto have been safe from this? I should mention that I took 1 plug out at a time, reconnected it to the wire, grounded the plug with another wire I had, then put the plug back in and reconnected it, moved to the next plug. But the car was running when I did this, as suggested by a neighbor.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Your neighbor was wrong and yes there is likely more damage now. R&R could be toast now.
          1981 GS 1000GLX.
          1981 GS 1000G.
          1981 GS 650GLX.
          1975 TS 185.
          1972 100. Kawasaki.
          1968 100. Suzuki.
          1970 Z 50. Honda.
          1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
          1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by gsman88 View Post
            Thank you. I appreciate this. Really. It was suggested to me by someone that they got their motorcycle started by leaving the car running. I actually tried starting it yesterday using only a battery. But, as usual when listening to other people, I decided to try "his way" before actually looking it up to see if it was safe. It clearly is not.

...But the car was running when I did this, as suggested by a neighbor.
            Your neighbor was wrong. When jumping from a car, the car should NOT be running.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
              Your neighbor was wrong and yes there is likely more damage now. R&R could be toast now.
              I swear when newbies post people specifically try to use rarely-used acronyms just to make us look more stupid than we really are. What is R & R?

EDIT: I'm assuming it's Regulator/Rectifier. That took me a ridiculous amount of time just to figure out it meant something I previously mentioned in my first comment. *lesigh* C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la pomme de terre
              Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I swear when newbies post people specifically try to use rarely-used acronyms just to make us look more stupid than we really are. What is R & R?

EDIT: I'm assuming it's Regulator/Rectifier. That took me a ridiculous amount of time just to figure out it meant something I previously mentioned in my first comment. *lesigh* C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la pomme de terre
                Yes, R&R means Regulator/Rectifier. It's a standard acronym, not rare at all. On some earlier models, they are separate units. On later models, they are combined into one unit. I'm not sure of when the changeover date is, '79 I think.

Comment

Yeah, no, sorry, as others already have said, R/R is a bog-standard acronym - while it may take some time to figure it out the first time, it wasn't used in the way you are suggesting.

I assume that stems from you reading some other threads where newbies got themselves a bloody nose. Rest assured, just reading from your first post, you wont, as it is apparent you're willing to learn and are not one of the standard issue hur-dur-bike-wont-run-halp-me newbies who then get offended when one points out they're not following advice given. It's those who make people cranky.

Now, to the problem at hand.

The R/R on your bike is actually made up from two separate units. Looking at the schematics, assuming you connected your car to the battery terminals, and from what you've described, it sounds like the diodes in the Rectifier broke down, which in turn let the regulator trying to get the voltage down - a futile endeavor, given the power source. I recommend getting a SH775 R/R (it may take you some time to find a genuine part), it will remedy a host of potential problems with the stock charging system, which is sh!te anyway on this particular bike. Check the forums for more pointers on this.

It looks like the single/main 15A fuse hasn't blown, so overvoltage got everywhere:
                  - The life expectancy of all bulbs on at the time will be dramatically reduced (no idea if your model was one of those which let you turn off the lights),
                  - most likely your ignition coils are fried (Side note: the ignition system on these bikes is not a magneto one, but "battery/generator and coil" - refer to wikipedia for more info)
                  - you need to inspect all wiring harness connectors for obvious damage / discoloration, any existing bad connections, i.e. high-resistance, could've gotten hot with the over-voltage.
                  - also, it's possible that one leg (winding) of your stator got a visit from angry pixies as well, given a broken down rectifier.

Of course, the starter relay and motor got some extra juice as well, but I presume them to be okay, given that they got it for a comparatively short time.

My recommendation for your next actions:

1. Measure your coils, search the forum on how and what values to expect
                  2. Replace R/R
                  3. Measure stator windings, like 1), search the forum, replace as necessary
                  4. Inspect wiring/harness/connectors for obvious damage

Take pictures and report back as you go, this will get you the most help from the forum.
                  Last edited by roeme; 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                    Yeah, no, sorry, as others already have said, R/R is a bog-standard acronym - while it may take some time to figure it out the first time, it wasn't used in the way you are suggesting.

I assume that stems from you reading some other threads where newbies got themselves a bloody nose. Rest assured, just reading from your first post, you wont, as it is apparent you're willing to learn and are not one of the standard issue hur-dur-bike-wont-run-halp-me newbies who then get offended when one points out they're not following advice given. It's those who make people cranky.

Now, to the problem at hand................. [etc]

Take pictures and report back as you go, this will get you the most help from the forum.
                    Wow, I really appreciate this. I'll have to come back on my days off and read through this, do some work, etc. Thanks!

Comment

I did the same thing before I joined the forum. Had to spring for a new R/R. Do a search for recommendations for a replacement on this site. You don't want the original Suzuki one. Also check out any post posplayr makes and in his signature you'll see how to test your charging system.........
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

The regulator/rectifier AND the stators on GS-series bikes are known to be frail, and given to failure without outside interference, thus, as others have said, having a LIVE outside source for electricity is not good for them.

Also, as others have said, in every case, the engine in the vehicle with the good battery must NEVER be running at the time jumper wires are being used to start another vehicle.

In many of the more modern cars, for example, jumping while the engine is running can cause considerable damage to the electrical system on the vehicle with the running engine. For this reason some manufacturers recommend against using their vehicle to jump-start another.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I used my F-150 to jump the forklift at my old workplace. Engine running, turned the key and the forklift started but the truck groaned and shuddered. After that the truck's alternator was toast.

In regards to the bike, thought I'd mention never to run the engine without a battery hooked up. Not sure why anyone would ever do that, but I did. Oh here's why, after a second battery died and before putting in a new one in I wanted to check charging output. Disconnecting the battery while running sent a power surge through the electrical system but luckily only the headlight bulb blew. I wound up replacing the R/R which is what ruined my batteries, adding a new ground, and of course a headlight bulb.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                          X