New GS Owner Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner Intro

Hey guys, I'd like to introduce myself and my situation a bit. About a month ago I picked up a 1982 GS550l off of craigslist for 200 dollars. It was a super impulse decision but motorcycle maintenance has always been something that I was interested in getting into and I figured 200 wasn't too bad of a starting price. I went in having never touched a motorcycle before and so far I have replaced the starter motor (which I assume most of you know meant removing the carbs and a **** load of other things), I replaced the battery, and replaced the sealing around the petcock to stop a fuel leak. Overall I have had a wonderful time and I absolutely cannot wait to be able to get out on the road. I will definitely be as active as possible on the forums because I have a LOT to learn. There are still some issues with the bike but I figure here is not the place for them.

Here is a picture (minus the seat) of my first bike.

20170505_115559.jpg

Hey Lemorte.
    I imagine if more people were as enthusiastic about maintenance as you we'd see a lot more GS's still on the road.

Good luck getting that 550 up and runnig. MSF course in your future?
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome to the site, Lemorte.
      Remember that photo of your garage....now that you have been bitten by the motorcycle bug you will wonder where did all the spare room go?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

What a nice bike for $200! This is the place to learn. Welcome.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Welcome. Good luck and enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's cheap entertainment! Have you ridden a bit in your past?

Funny you are from Ft Thomas. Until a couple od days ago I had never heard of the place, but that's the second time this week it has appeared on the GSR. Makes me think I'll have to swing over next time I'm visiting my in-laws in southwestern Virginia.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X