Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must remove pistons before pulling crank from top case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must remove pistons before pulling crank from top case?

I'm working on a GS750B, I've got the cases split and I'm trying to remove the crank from the top case. Piston #1 seems to be getting caught on the case, preventing me from lifting the crank and rotating assembly from the top case. I felt around where pistons 1 and 4 meet the case and there seems to be additional "webbing" around the two outside cylinders. There is a bit of lateral movement of the piston since it can slide on the piston pin. I've been trying to lift the crank while wiggling the piston to see if it will clear but it's pretty difficult with just 2 hands.

My question is whether the crank with pistons attached can be removed from the top case. I'm trying to get down to the bare case to clean out the debris that found its way down there (and get the rust off the studs), then reinstall with a new cam chain and right side seals on the crank, trans, and counter shafts.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Why not separate the pistons? Since you are this far along in the work, you might as well. You risk scratching the pistons by not removing them. As to whether or not you can do what you ask, I don't know, but I would remove them.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

You can't remove the crank with the pistons installed. Even if you could you would never be able to reinstall the pistons into the cylinders while compressing the rings with the weight of the crankshaft. Dar

Comment

Working...
      X