Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how many spokes the Savage rear rim has...possible G model mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
    Ah, the Madura just got knocked out for use....mono shock system - the GS has twin shocks and that would leave no shock mount then.
    Moving on....lol....
    You didn't mention swapping the swingarm also. Just the wheels, which is possible.

Just so it is known, I sold a first gen 750 to a guy in Lakeland that uses the back half of the Savage and installs a sprocket in place of the belt pulley to make bobbers. He also showed me his bikes start and run using a battery from kids Power Wheels. Said it's small and easy to hide. I saw it work, who knew? That guy. lol
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

A Madura 1200 wheel on a GS1000L, you only need to modify the caliper torque arm or use shims and everything fit using Suzuki parts.
      I may part out this bike.
      Marc
      2zzopzb.jpg
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        You didn't mention swapping the swingarm also. Just the wheels, which is possible.

Just so it is known, I sold a first gen 750 to a guy in Lakeland that uses the back half of the Savage and installs a sprocket in place of the belt pulley to make bobbers. He also showed me his bikes start and run using a battery from kids Power Wheels. Said it's small and easy to hide. I saw it work, who knew? That guy. lol
        One could drop in a small battery, but I'd be afraid of hot restarts and not enough amperage.

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
          A Madura 1200 wheel on a GS1000L, you only need to modify the caliper torque arm or use shims and everything fit using Suzuki parts.
          I may part out this bike.
          Marc
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]51664[/ATTACH]
          Now that's what I was looking for! Do you possibly have more pics?

So, that's a Madura wheel...uses the GS drive hub?

Comment

The madura wheel use the same drive and the disc brake rotor is the same diameter.
            I will post more pics this evening.
            Marc
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Here are few pictures, the swap for the rear wheel can be done without welding, you can use heavy duty washer for shimming the caliper bracket and do the same for the torque arm.
              I choose to weld the torque arm, I have moved the rear mounting bracket 1/4 or 3/8 inch i cannot remember.
              Marc
              CIMG4711.jpg
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

The other side,
                Marc
                CIMG4703.jpg
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

You know, the madura should have a numerically lower ring and pinion. (16 in wheel, with 114hp) Could be something to look into swapping into the gs differential housing. Maybe drop the rpms a tad on the highway
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                    Here are few pictures, the swap for the rear wheel can be done without welding, you can use heavy duty washer for shimming the caliper bracket and do the same for the torque arm.
                    I choose to weld the torque arm, I have moved the rear mounting bracket 1/4 or 3/8 inch i cannot remember.
                    Marc
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]51672[/ATTACH]
                    "Shimming the caliper bracket"....is that needed for the wide tire clearance?...or for the swap itself?
                    edit- for my idea, I'd just want the drive hub. I'd have a 17" or 18" rim laced onto the hub that resembles the current width of my cast rim...maybe a tad over that width, but not much more.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

You need shims to center the caliper on the disc.From memory the Madura wheels have 56 spokes.
                      Marc
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
                      X