Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, explain this electrical gurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijko View Post
    PM = permanent magnet.
    Here's a nice writeup on the different alternator systems.

i'm not clear on the details of disconnected negative leads but the battery is just a buffer.
    The alternator can provide power to keep the engine running if the RR is grounded to the chassis - you would still have positive and negative, even with the negative terminal removed from the battery.
    Since the battery buffer is not there anymore that explains the flickering headlight. (an empty or broken battery would show the same behavior of flickering lights)
    Electrically isolating the RR from the chassis should solve that.

If the starter continues even with the engine turned off, it has to feed off the battery because there is no other power source.
    A solenoid working properly gets activated by a signal wire, and connects the high amp wires to provide power
    to the starter. Somehow, enough power makes it through the solenoid to the starter to continue cranking.

I can think of 2 scenarios the starter will continue with a non running engine :

- solenoid is ok but the signal wire keeps on providing 12v even with kill switch and ignition turned off, it may short to 12v somewhere in the cable harness. Next time this happens, if possible disconnect the signal wire from the solenoid. Hope that stops the cranking.
    - solenoid is bad, does not release even when no 12v on the signal wire.

I think your first hunch was right, focus on the solenoid first.
    Agreed...I'd suggest a temp toggle switch inline of the signal wire. Fire up the starter and if/when it keeps running flip the switch to off to see if that kills it. Sounds like your getting feedback voltage that's enough to keep the solenoid energized from another source.....shy of the new solenoid sticking - it's getting voltage elsewhere. Shorted switch or miswire...which might explain the low charging voltage when it's running...a short is drawing down the voltage.

The fact that the kill switch kills the running motor is another circuit, and it sounds as though it's doing it's job. The starter circuit has a problem -if only that it's not fed voltage like it needs.
    Had a similar deal eons ago with a car draining the battery, things not working like they should and hard starter problems {low voltage/not continuous starter running though}- turns out one of the power window switches was shorted...took nearly 3 days to trace it. Was a '68 continental ragtop though - was worth it.
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{166k...doesn't burn or leak oil}

The starter running, even when the kill switch is on, could indicate that the starter solenoid is getting stuck. Try to start it and have a meter ready. If the control voltage to the solenoid isn't present and the starter is still turning, then it's the solenoid. If you still see voltage, even when the starter button is released and the kill switch is opened, then it's wiring upstream.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by JTGS850GL View Post
    The starter running, even when the kill switch is on, could indicate that the starter solenoid is getting stuck. Try to start it and have a meter ready. If the control voltage to the solenoid isn't present and the starter is still turning, then it's the solenoid. If you still see voltage, even when the starter button is released and the kill switch is opened, then it's wiring upstream.
    "I thought"......the starter wasn't part of the kill switch circuit, kill was only for the coils?
    Agreed on the seeing voltage it's something upstream...could even be a bad ignition switch letting voltage thru via a short in it...but most likely something plumbed incorrectly....assuming the solenoid is good. Got another to try?
    edit= clutch handle switch was part of the starter kill....possible bypass for that done incorrectly?
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves}

If the ignition key won't kill the starter then it's the solenoid for sure. That's unless there are some serious rewiring that's going on. Could be a fused wire in the harness. Checking the voltage at the coil wire of the starter solenoid would verify if it's a mechanical issue with the solenoid or an electrical issue upstream.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

If it's not the solenoid, I'd regretfully say pull the tank and start looking at what the PO did to the wiring harness...all of it.{ugh}
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}

Quote Originally Posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
    "I thought"......the starter wasn't part of the kill switch circuit, kill was only for the coils?
    Stated a bit simplified and generic to allow for the R6 which may have wiring a bit different to our GS-es : power comes from the battery. runs to ignition switch.
    From the ignition switch, on to the kill switch and from there, both coils and starter button are powered.
    So the kill switch usually kills power to the coils which makes the engine stop, and also stops power to the starter button to prevent cranking with no power to the coils.
    Looking at it that way, the starter is part of the kill switch circuit. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Rijko; 06-18-2017 at 02:12 PM.