'81 GS650G Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The solenoid does not click when I hit the starter button."

What about that clicking from ignitor? Still there?? If yes, try unplugging ignitor and see if solenoid will click in when you press starter button.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

you only see 12.8 volt on the signal wire when pressing the starter button, right ... not all the time ?
      Just checking ..
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

GS Starting

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
        you only see 12.8 volt on the signal wire when pressing the starter button, right ... not all the time ?
        Just checking ..
        I have 12.8 volts at the signal wire, but it drops to around 3 volts when I hit and hold the starter button. The solenoid is now clicking with the igniter disconnected, I have tried tapping it with a small hammer, but no change, solenoid clicks and starter does not turn over.

Sounds like the solenoid is stuffed.

Comment

That drop to 3 volts when solenoid clicks in could also mean starter motor is drawing excess current causing battery to weaken. Have you tried "bridging" the big contacts on solenoid to see if starter motor will now turn? Current draw on normal starter is about 80 amps, so you'll see some sparking on your bridging device
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It drops to three volts???? The obvious thing is that the battery can not supply what the starter is demanding. The not-so-obvious thing is that you still don't know if it's the battery or the starter at fault. The easiest way to determine which is at fault is to connect jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING vehicle and try again. If the voltage still drops below 10, your problem is likely the starter, but I'll put my money on the battery.

The suggestion to use jumper cables as a diagnostic tool has been suggested in posts #2 and #7, have not seen any results from that test. Until we see those results, anything else is just guessing.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have charged the battery, it is new, and tried using jumper leads across the solenoid terminals and the starter does not turn. The solenoid clicks when starter button pushed. Starter motor must be stuffed?

Comment

it starts to look that way.

You can remove the starter motor cover, connect the negative jumper lead to the chassis or negative battery terminal, and tap the connection on the starter motor with the positive jumper lead to be sure.

If the starter motor does nothing, you could whack the starter motor with a wooden hammer a few times, sometimes the carbon brushes are fouled and start working.

If all that fails, the started motor needs to be checked.
                It can be cleaned and overhauled.
                Last edited by Rijko; 06-21-2017, 04:00 AM.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

At this point, I would remove left side stator cover to check that nothing is jammed up in starter drive system..this would let you remove small idler gear and see if starter motor could now spin. Try tapping motor to wake it up!
                  Removing starter motor is nasty business, as carbs and camchain tensioner need to come off first. The shafty 650's share starter motors with the gs450 and 300 models (at least in usa versions)
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Have removed the starter motor and it will not turn, by hand or with the battery, anyone rebuilt one?

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit380 View Post
                      Have removed the starter motor and it will not turn, by hand or with the battery, anyone rebuilt one?
                      If it is really stuck, I'd look for replacement. A competent auto place can replace bearings, brushes, turn commutator,etc. but sometimes these things are beat.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

agreed with Tom, if it's stuck you may need a replacement.
                        They are not hard to take apart and clean, so if you want to check
                        why it is not turning here's a nice movie from Rick's Motorsport Electrics.

Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Pulled the starter out and the problem was two of the magnets had come loose, one has broken up and seized the motor. Managed to get a second hand one from a GS650E but needed to change the mounting, not sure which way the motor should be running as it is going the wrong way and will not turn the engine over.

Comment

Holding the starter motor shaft facing you, the motor turns counterclockwise when the motor case is grounded and positive 12 volts is applied to terminal.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

GS Starting

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              Holding the starter motor shaft facing you, the motor turns counterclockwise when the motor case is grounded and positive 12 volts is applied to terminal.
                              Must have put the armature in the wrong way round after dismantling it to check everything over and change the mounting, need to turn it around.

Comment

Working...
                              X