Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs1100e transmission front sprocket nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100e transmission front sprocket nut?

So I finally got around to swapping the chain from a 630 to 530 and had a couple questions. First off as soon as I took the case off the sprocket nut hit the ground I was looking at it and it looked like a self lock nut with no locking washer behind it. I looked into replacing it with the correct one with the washer and found the old part has been superceded by that nut. So do I order a lock washer or and new nut that should self lock or just use loctight?? Next is spacing. If I place the jt sprocket with the built in spacer toward the case it seems to close to the case for the chain. Or should I just play with the spacing to get it lined up with the rear.

Your first priority is to ensure the sprockets line up, everything else after that are secondary considerations (not insignificant, but still secondary).
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Ok ordered sprockets from z1 and the 6mm spacer. I saw these were the things to order from other forums

Comment

So should I find a old original nut for the sprocket or just get a lock washer and use the one that came out?

Comment

Originally posted by curt4 View Post
          So should I find a old original nut for the sprocket or just get a lock washer and use the one that came out?
          One way or the other I would use a locking washer and bend two of it's tabs over the nut.

If they don't fit the nut you have now I guess you'll need a new or used nut. Buy a couple washers so you have them on hand. I've had that nut come off and they can mess up the end of the shaft.

Comment

The weird thing is that if you go to order a new one it's the locking one. So would a self locking nut work if it was new? I'm sure this one has been on and off enough to wear it out it threaded all the way on by hand

Comment

Working...
            X