1980 Suzuki GS550e Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suzuki GS550e Tank Question

So i recently bought a 1980 GS550e for a project. The tank that came with it is apparently from a 80 550L. My problem is finding a gauge assembly/fuel lever to install. The tank that is for the 80 GS550e only has the hole for the petcock. My question is what are some suitable alternatives that are direct swaps? I found a local 80 GS1000L fuel tank that looks to be in great shape with the fuel lever still on it. Looks like the mounts are 4 inches in width. Not sure about length. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks guys!
    GAUGE ASSY, FUEL LEVELGAUGE ASSY, FUEL LEVELGAUGE ASSY, FUEL LEVEL
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM.

I've also looked at tanks from 79 GS550e models. They have just the petcock hole. Would that also be an option?

Comment

No suggestions from anyone? Am I doing this wrong? Should i be posting somewhere else? Would it be possible to weld a round metal piece onto the sensor placement hole then use tank sealer to seal the inside up?

Comment

welcome to the forum.

The lack of answers may lie in the way the question is put, at least to me it is not clear what you are looking for.
        Don't think the L tank fits your E ... which tank are you going to use ?

If i stop reading at

The tank that came with it is apparently from a 80 550L. My problem is finding a gauge assembly/fuel lever to install.
        the answer is simple : online partslist shows the petcock is available, price is not bad either.

Last edited by Rijko; 06-20-2017, 12:04 PM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thanks. Sorry i was trying to provide as much information as possible. The tank that i have is from an 80 550L because it had not only the petcock hole, but also the fuel lever gauge hole. The fuel lever gauge is the part that is discontinued or hard to find and in need of rebuilding when you do. I was inquiring to see if there are any other year model tanks that are direct swaps? For instance the 80 GS1000 tank im looking at seems like it would be perfect. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Suzuki-...53.m1438.l2649

Any thoughts?

Comment

thoughts ? yep

can't find a 1980 GS550E on the partslist, only a 1979 GS550E.
            Doesn't mean there was no 1980 GS550E, but maybe you have a 1979 model that was put on the road in 1980 ?

You don't answer the fitment of the tank you have ...

Why look for a different model tank, and not for a GS550E model ?

I think the GS1000 tank is longer than a GS550E tank.

Looking at the 1980 GS1000GL tank, i see there are 2 models (T and X).

T model fits :

1979 GS550L FUEL TANK
            1979 GS750L FUEL TANK
            1980 GS1000GL FUEL TANK (MODEL T)
            1980 GS550L FUEL TANK
            1980 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL T)
            1981 GS1000GL FUEL TANK (MODEL T)
            1981 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL T)

If the 1980 GS550L tank fits your GS550E perfectly, you may be lucky with the GS1000 tank.

X model fits :

1980 GS1000GL FUEL TANK (MODEL X)
            1981 GS1000GL FUEL TANK (MODEL X)
            1982 GS1100GL FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
            1982 GS1100GL FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
            1982 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
            1982 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
            1983 GS1100GL FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
            1983 GS1100GL FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
            1983 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
            1983 GS850GL FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

Thank you Sir. I am completely new to the whole scene. Recently taken up much interest in bikes and wanting to turn this old bike into a cafe racer ( I know, I know). What does fitment mean? Is it possible to have a 79 model that was put on the road in 80? Wouldn't that still be a 79 then? Here's the link to the tank for the 80 GS 550E tank. http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...c76c/fuel-tank

Comment

Originally posted by GingerRacer View Post
                Thank you Sir. I am completely new to the whole scene. Recently taken up much interest in bikes and wanting to turn this old bike into a cafe racer ( I know, I know).
                i like cafe racers , as well as many others on this forum.

What does fitment mean?
                the reason i asked again was that there are lots of different models gas tank.
                Some don't match up with the original seat, or the petcock hits the carbs, or have no float level meter, etc etc.
                Building a cafe racer gives you much more leeway to adjust and adapt.
                So if you place the tank on the bike, it does not hit the chassis, fits on both mounting points on the front, and can be secured with the central bolt on the rear ?

Is it possible to have a 79 model that was put on the road in 80? Wouldn't that still be a 79 then?
                you're right, but to receive the best advice it is best practice to refer to the build year/model as others
                may lookup the wrong part numbers of a 1980 model when you have a 1979.
                Suzuki used letters to add to the model number : N for 1979, T for 1980.
                So that would make your bike a GS550EN or GS550ET.

Here's the link to the tank for the 80 GS 550E tank. http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...c76c/fuel-tank
                Ah, there we go ... Partzilla did not have the 1980 GS550E listed.
                Good you found it.

So if the tank fits the frame nicely, all you need is to know if the petcock will fit the mounting holes and does not hit the carbs or air filter box. (or are you planning for pods ?)
                And do you intend to use the fuel gauge ? From your earlier post i think you do not and would be happy if the sender hole was closed. In that case any old sender unit would do to plug the hole, functioning or not... correct ?
                Last edited by Rijko; 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

Ah, there we go ... Partzilla did not have the 1980 GS550E listed.
                  Good you found it.

So if the tank fits the frame nicely, all you need is to know if the petcock will fit the mounting holes and does not hit the carbs or air filter box. (or are you planning for pods ?)
                  And do you intend to use the fuel gauge ? From your earlier post i think you do not and would be happy if the sender hole was closed. In that case any old sender unit would do to plug the hole, functioning or not... correct ?
                  That's what i thought. But wasn't sure. Every piece i see on ebay is hard to tell if the sender unit is completely there, meaning the gaskets, etc.

Comment

check the hole in your tank ... it's just a round hole you wish to plug, right ?
                    The circular gasket is just a 5$ part new (better than a 35+ year old one)
                    And a cover plate you can make yourself.
                    if you post in the 'parts wanted' section on this forum, there may be a member that has a sender unit for sale.

Last edited by Rijko; 06-20-2017, 04:19 PM.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

I have a 1980 gs550e.
                      Definitely no fuel guage on the standard bike.
                      Petcock only.

Keep the bike standard ...... It will like you for it.
                      UKJULES
                      ---------------------------------
                      Owner of following bikes:
                      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                      X