Delkevic 4-1 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delkevic 4-1 Questions

Since a few people here have these I am looking for some feedback before buying one for my 1100E.

1) Can anyone comment on how equal length the headers are? They should be identical but that often doesn't happen and the less close they are the worse the system performs.
    2) Can anyone tell me what OD the primary pipes and tail pipe are on the 1100E/G/GL system?
    3) How is the fit and finish?
    4) How well does it fit on your bike?
    5) Delkevic says their headers are made from 1.5mm wall tubing. I'm really hoping that is a typo. Can someone confirm they really aren't that thick?

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

I'm not going to take mine apart to check it but they are quite sturdy, fit and finish is excellent. I would not be surprised if they are 1.5mm thick. I do know that they handily outperform the Vance and Hines street 4-1 with all the baffles in place. For some reason you can hear what is going on a lot better than with the V&H, makes tuning a lot easier. I had been told this type of exhaust will always pop on deceleration. Not so, when the carburetors are dialed in properly you can power brake with the motor by downshifting without a single pop. I did assemble the slip parts of the header with high heat Ultra Copper Permatex.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The welding is beautiful. They turn a bit gold with heat. For the price they HAVE to be made in China but the quality is very good.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

There may be differences between the 1000 & 1100 but I don't think you will ever be disappointed. Being Stainless Steel they will turn gold. It can be polished out but it is normal for Stainless.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          Since a few people here have these I am looking for some feedback before buying one for my 1100E.

1) Can anyone comment on how equal length the headers are? They should be identical but that often doesn't happen and the less close they are the worse the system performs.
          2) Can anyone tell me what OD the primary pipes and tail pipe are on the 1100E/G/GL system?
          3) How is the fit and finish?
          4) How well does it fit on your bike?
          5) Delkevic says their headers are made from 1.5mm wall tubing. I'm really hoping that is a typo. Can someone confirm they really aren't that thick?

Thanks,
          Mark
          1- It's hard to measure the down pipes given there's a flange pipe by the motor and the bolt collar as well. but I get 29 3/8" fairly consistently using my wifes cloth tape....not the most accurate way to measure.
          2- my s/s 1100G system has a down pipe OD of 1.380 inch {35.06mm} and the outlet of the collector pipe is an OD of "2.46 inch to 2.51 inch"...she's a little oval.
          3- fit and finish are great- included is hi temp grease, 4 exhaust seals and the muffler bracket in black
          4- well...that's a bad question to ask me since I bought an "82 on" 1100G system for my '80 1000G. A} no system is listed nor given via contact to Delkevic for my '80 1000G...but was told here that the 1100G would fit with a minor muffler attachment adjustment....haven't done the install yet, so the jury is out on how it'll fit. I'm not too worried.
          5- I get 1.21mm average with one spot at 1.3mm {.047" to .051"}with my mitutoyo digi caliper at the end of the down pipe...the added top mount flange tube won't yield an accurate measurement there. Keep in mind the hope from Delkevic is probably that a thicker down tube is going to act like an oem double wall tube...so thick is good and should keep decent heat in for efficiency. Idk....

Comment

Good information, thanks gentlemen.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
            X