No announcement yet.

1981 Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't anything that hasn't already been said. I think it's a beauty and at that price an absolute steal.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Looks like a good candidate for a cafe project or just part it out.

OK just joking, damn that's a nice looking bike, Rich you have a good eye for deals.

David.
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

When was the last time anyone even saw a late model K like that..let alone in that condition. Sacrilege to change anything other then maybe some lower bars. Boring to some, but still..
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

The pipes are in near perfect shape, but a bit long for my liking. I am simply going to cut them off just in front of the rear shocks. That should give me the look I am after, plus those useless baffles should fall out at that point.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best hammer to use in order to get those nice tank indents?

Comment

I smell an antagonist.
            I wish my GS's looked that good. That's a beauty.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

DON'T DO IT!!!! Sell the pipes if you want but don't go and cut them up. I'm sure you could bring in good $$$ for them. I wouldn't cut anything on that bike myself. Those Honda's bring in better bucks then our GS's do today. If you want to cafe a bike, then start with something that's not in as pristine condition. Maybe someone here would be willing to take that one off your hands in trade for a better cafe project bike. Possibly some bucks on the side to boot. If I lived closer I would do a partial trade for my GS850 but, since I live in Georgia, it's probably not an option.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

As someone has observed, VMass seems to be taking the p1ss here.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  As someone has observed, VMass seems to be taking the p1ss here.
                  Lol, stay calm. My son does in fact want to café this bike. He wants to build a tribute bike to his best friend that he lost a year ago. Some of you may remember that we auctioned off the Kevin Schwantz bike in his name.

Anyway, I am with all you guys and this will certainly not be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                    The pipes are in near perfect shape, but a bit long for my liking. I am simply going to cut them off just in front of the rear shocks. That should give me the look I am after, plus those useless baffles should fall out at that point.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best hammer to use in order to get those nice tank indents?
                    I'm going to send you my keyboard for cleaning...I just spit coke out all over it!!
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      I'm going to send you my keyboard for cleaning...I just spit coke out all over it!!
                      Sorry about that. This thread seems to be getting me in trouble. I'll blame it on the Honda.

Comment

My first new bike was a '79 "Limited Edition", i rode that puppy all over South Dakota. Was at '80 and '81 Sturgis rallies with it. Sold to my uncle to buy my ES.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Besides a set of lower bars, the only other mods I would even consider for that bike would be to swap on an 18" rear wheel and drop the forks in the triple clamps a bit to level out the stance. It would still look totally factory, but a little less "L" model-like. That was right at the end of the K model's run. You can see the heritage from the 70's K models in it, and yet it would go away with the introduction of the V4s coming in the next couple of years. That bike is really an heirloom.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

It seems like I'd clean it up and sell it, then use the profit towards building the Café style bike. That Honda is really too nice to modify.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I keep looking at that bike. I love it.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Sorry, Rich.
                                I posted the wrong pic.
                                Hopefully you have already taken the Sawzall to the pipes because this Kustom K should be the inspiration for your son.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X