"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Sorry, Rich.
      I posted the wrong pic.
      Hopefully you have already taken the Sawzall to the pipes because this Kustom K should be the inspiration for your son.

I am sure everyone agrees that if Get Back Whips were to be added to this bike it would be nothing short of perfection.

Comment

I am a bit surprised over the love this K bike is receiving here. It is settled at this point and this bike will remain 100% stock. And if I might add, you guys kinda know I don't cut *h*t up, right?

Anyway, as much as I like stock, I also respect other peoples thoughts, including my son's idea of building a tribute bike in honor of his friend. Café is a thing, like it or not!

So, I have this other idea but I am hesitant to bring it up.......

Lighten up!!! I am thinking he can do some mild changes to make this a really cool looking bike and all of it can be returned to stock if desired.

Comment

YES-cafe THAT one!!!
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
            The pipes are in near perfect shape, but a bit long for my liking. I am simply going to cut them off just in front of the rear shocks. That should give me the look I am after, plus those useless baffles should fall out at that point.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best hammer to use in order to get those nice tank indents?
            I don't believe any of that crap. You're just looking to get a rise outta' people. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Sorry, Rich.
              I posted the wrong pic.
              Hopefully you have already taken the Sawzall to the pipes because this Kustom K should be the inspiration for your son.

Inspirational........ good on your son for wanting to remember his friend that way, real honorable, and I think he should be supported in any way he wants/see's to make that happen.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                I am a bit surprised over the love this K bike is receiving here. It is settled at this point and this bike will remain 100% stock. And if I might add, you guys kinda know I don't cut *h*t up, right?

Anyway, as much as I like stock, I also respect other peoples thoughts, including my son's idea of building a tribute bike in honor of his friend. Café is a thing, like it or not!

So, I have this other idea but I am hesitant to bring it up.......

Lighten up!!! I am thinking he can do some mild changes to make this a really cool looking bike and all of it can be returned to stock if desired.
                That's the same bike I learned on, only it was olive green and gold and black.
                That too is a nice one.
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

On a serious note, Rich, I remember you posting about the situation with you son's friend. His intent to honor him with a bike build is wonderful. Some things are more important than an antique mass produced thing, no matter how nice it may be. Whatever bike he chooses its for good reason. I wish him and you well on this endavor, and hope you do a thread here even if its not a GS.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The 750 is just not the right platform for a cafe' bike..even if it was thrashed. The 450 would make a much better cafe'..even as nice as it is, too. It's got the perfect stance, body work, and the fact that it's a twin like all the best old British cafe's are. Like you said, do nothing that couldn't be returned to stock. Bars, pipes, maybe a bump seat, all parts available very reasonably..cha-ching..perfect cafe'.
                    Last edited by nvr2old; 06-22-2017, 08:29 PM.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words! I didn't expect this thread to head in this direction, but I am good with it. Ya, the loss of my sons best friend has been a tough one. However, I am amazed at the strength my son has drawn from his friend. He has done some amazing things since his friends passing, including excelling academically as he enters his senior year in college.

My son and his life long friend used to be big into Bmx biking. They went to Woodward a couple times a year and made great friends around the world. When his friend passed, his bike was placed next to his casket as it was a part of who he was. The way these kids set up these bikes did not make them safe for the average rider, no brakes etc.

Anyway, following the funeral, my son took his bike, went through it and made the bike street safe while keeping the bike in it's true " Emmett" form and presented it to Emmett's 10 year old sister. The smile on that girls face was priceless.

Back to business... I agree, the 450 has great potential as a café. As Larry suggested, parts are readily available to get the job done.

Comment

You have one hell of a great family. I admire that immensely.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Rich if you son is still into BMX, or just feeling nostalgic have him check out BMX museum.com.
                          Interesting stuff there, and a big demand for old parts. I sold couple of old parts I had laying around from the late 80- early 90s ridiculously fast.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Rich if you son is still into BMX, or just feeling nostalgic have him check out BMX museum.com.
                            Interesting stuff there, and a big demand for old parts. I sold couple of old parts I had laying around from the late 80- early 90s ridiculously fast.
                            http://bmxmuseum.com
                            Thanks for the link, I will pass it on to him. He still has his prized possession but it doesn't get much use, understandably. But he does like to wheel and deal, not sure where he got that from . I am sure he will appreciate that site if he is not already aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              You have one hell of a great family. I admire that immensely.
                              Very nice of you to say, but we simply consider it as just doing our part. And it's pretty cool when you have a hobby that you can make some good come out of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X