Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salutations!

Hello all!

I just wanted to say hi. I have recently fallen in love with an older woman. I have been told by any and every respectable motorcycle enthusiast I know that I might find this place to be a great resource on the subject.

20170605_185428.jpg

She is my new friend, my 1981 gs850g. It leaks a little oil and looks a lot better from 20 feet out but im really excited about it. Rides really nice and is the exact bike I need right now.

Me? Im 32, single, work for myself and am doing my best to fend off full time adulthood. The gs is my 6th bike and its early but for some reason I think ill have her a while. One of those bikes that is just super enjoyable for me to ride.

Ill go back to lurking now. I appreciate you guys! Ive been a member of some great motocycle forums but this one is on another level. More information than I could ever hope to read or for that matter understand.

Thanks for having me guys!

D

Greetings D,

It's kinda creepy that you describe a love for a bike as you did above but I'm willing to overlook that. (I'm a serious person and react in a direct manner until I get to know people and vice versa...but don't take me serious)

Definitely agree that you will find all the info you need here. Heck, you'll make friends and possibly meet members if the stars align.

Nice bike, btw. I see braided lines in the front and original exhaust and rear shocks. Is she leaking at the top, middle or bottom?

Do tell us more and include close ups. Good to have you here.

Ed

EDIT: I'm a Dodgers fan...are you a Cardinals fan?
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-22-2017, 04:07 AM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I can live with creepy. Thanks for the welcome! I will make sure to get some better photos asap.

I believe its leaking from the base gasket, it seems that way at least. Not a major leak just a little seepage. I plan to learn as much here as possible and investigate a little more in the winter. It rides so well currently Id hate to miss any of the season. Just gonna keep cleaning her up a bit and just ride.

To be honest I am a little impartial to baseball but I am a huge hockey fan. I live really close to Scottrade center where the Blues play and get to go to a lot of games fortunately.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Comment

Welcome Lampworker. Is lampworking your occupation? If so, greetings from a fellow lampworker of 40 years.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That is too cool! It is my occupation! Ive been flameworking for 12 years now. Graduated from salem in 2007. Small world! Great to meet you!

Comment

Gmorning D,

Glad you aren't offended by my remark. A little seepage isn't too bad...that's what I was told when I took pics of the fins.

Speaking of the NHL, I'm also a Kings fan. I enjoy going to live hockey games!

Enjoy your way around here!

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-22-2017, 09:29 AM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Fending off adulthood?.....you will fit in fine.
              btw, what is that raccoon doing to that rock?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That's a good looking bike. You might also want to check the chain tensioner as a suspect for the small oil leak. Also good to have another hockey fan around. Bruins fan myself.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                btw, what is that raccoon doing to that rock?
                I was wondering about the lawn decoration too. Looks like a ring tailed lemur to me though.
                Ring_Tailed_Lemur_With_Its_Characteristic_Tail_600.jpg

Comment

Welcome aboard D. Nice looking ol' lady you have there. A little on the young side for me though as I prefer my Asian Mistress with her more years of experience.
                  To each his own.

I totally agree that you should just keep cleaning the oil and get on with riding as much as possible. You might want to address the leak more during the down time of winter.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Hi Lampworker and welcome. Nice looking bike. Don't go mad after oil leaks in the first season. Check out the charging and brakes and so forth. I was losing a quart every 400 miles. Finally a boot slipping on the tarmac at a STOP sign persuaded me to go fixing the gaskets.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Haha thanks guys!! That is our neighbor's lawn ornament our dogs have been trying to figure out what it is as well. At first I thought it was an attempt to deter moles, turns out they actually think it looks nice!

Replaced a broken tach cable today. Never had more fun just tidying up a bike. Im used to more modern liquud cooled bikes and I love how everything seems to be right in front of me and easily accessible.

Hope you guys are having a good day. There is a swamp ass alert currently in stl so ill be hiding in the garage working on the bike until it cools off later this evening.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Sounds like you are enjoying the GS.

If you want to see a few more and ride with them, check out the "Meetingplace" section.
                        A rally this fall in Missouri, and next summer in southern Indiana may not be too far for you.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you! That sounds like a lot of fun! Ill be sure to check it out!

Comment

I see there are differences in being a lampworker and a glass blower but i have been to the glass museum in Corning a couple times .
                            It is a great place to visit for kids and adults.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Back when I was going to school in jersey I took a class at Corning during the summer. It is without a doubt glassblowing heaven!

Comment

Working...
                              X