Caps or wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps or wires?

I have a 79 GS 850 g. It looks like the caps and wires are original to the motorcycle and I am wondering what the advantage is over replacing just the Caps or going with something like a dynatek 8mm wire and cap combo? I can buy the caps for 5 or $6 a piece or I can buy the whole wire set for under $20. What are the pro's and cons of each I'm not sure what to do.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2017, 01:48 PM.

I am a fan of the Dyna suppression wires, no caps and Dyna green coils (much hotter spark than stock).
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks, aren't the Dyna green coils three ohms? I'm still running points, but I guess I could add a ballast resistor.

Comment

Convenience. It's much easier to keep stock coils and wires and just replace the caps.
        Check the resistance of the stock caps, they tend to go bad over the years... iirc, should be 5 ohms.
        Last edited by Tom R; 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Coils tested good, so no need to replace. Wires tested good at around 12k wire to wire. Caps....3 were in the 8-9 range, one was no resistance. So new caps it is 😁

Comment

Nip about 1/4" off of the end of each wire to get to clean copper. I have used a small awl to stick straight down the center of the strands so the caps screw in nice and straight.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
            X