Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

Ok, since my last post I HAVE SPARK. I have a new battery, new solenoid, new reg/rec, new stator. All seems to be working normal. I rode up to the store, say 15 miles and I came out within 10 minutes and the bike wouldn't start. I had to push start the bike and it fired right up. When I got home I checked the battery and had 12.6 volts. I let the bike cool down and started it right up. I checked the rpms at 4-5k and had 13.7 volts. I checked it again today after it sat over night and I had 14.77 volts. I checked the solenoid when I started the bike and felt on click so it seems to be ok. I disconnected the cable from the solenoid to the started and tried to jump start the starter straight from the battery, no good. I connected the solenoid cable back up and the bike started right up. Any ideas why I had trouble starting the bike after I rode for 15 miles?????

Was the starter turning the motor when it wouldn't start?
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Update your signature to reflect your bike... This is a 82 gs850, right?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry, yes a 1982 GS850G.

Comment

Sounds just like my 750. Still hardly turns over when hot. Better if I open the throttle. I replaced a defective negative cable.

Comment

When I disconnected the cable from the solenoid to the starter it would not turn over. I had it connected directly to the battery. When I connected the cable back onto the solenoid the bike would turn over. The bike turns over fine when cold. I had the starting problem after I rode for 15 miles, turned it off and tried to start it 10 minutes later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Shaw View Post
              When I disconnected the cable from the solenoid to the starter it would not turn over. I had it connected directly to the battery. ....
              That seems like a very good test to prove the starter motor is not a starter motor at that time/condition .... assuming the negative cable to the engine block is good.

Originally posted by Bob Shaw View Post
              .................................................. .............................When I connected the cable back onto the solenoid the bike would turn over. .............
              b ut it didnt before, so makes me thing the problem is intemittents, it changes over time or conditions.

I suspect either the starter motor itself or maybe the negative cable connection on back of engine, something changes when engine is warm, and is better when engine cold.

So, you can try tow things:

- THE negative connection on back of engine is soimewhat difficult to get at, but loosen it up and clean up and put back together.

- Remove starter, open it up to inspect the brushes. And maybe Either get a rebulid kit from Stocker Starters or a rebuilt starter.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I will try both. I rebuilt the starter last year, may have to do it again??
                Thanks to all!!

Comment

Working...
                X