Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to get my seat to look original

Hi,

I am trying to sort out my seat of my 1980 suzuki gs1000g. The cover is in a bit of a mess (and the seat pan!) and I would like to recover it. The seat is the nicer flat type. I would like to get the original looking cover for it if possible. Just wondering if anyone could post a picture of what an original flat GS1000g seat looks like.

Thanks

Dave

You can go through Pit Replica if you just want to get a new cover. Their work is highly regarded.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for SUZUKI GS1000G GS1000 G 1981-1982 '81 '82 SEAT COVER [SSAT] at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I've installed two of those. They look great. They fit pretty tight. One problem with Pit Replica is that they seem to have little to no idea what they are selling. There is no 1982 GS1000G. There is a 1982 1100G, and a 1982 850G, so what is this really supposed to fit? Any 850G or 1000G through 1981 is what you want. It all changed, and for the worse in my opinion, in 1982.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-22-2017, 07:33 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Pit Replica is very open to working with customers to build the proper covers, and I'd be willing to wager that any dates that are inaccurate were provided by a customer or a typo in their original documentation. I know when I did the cover for my '83 650G, they did not have that pattern, so I sent them my old cover, and they created a new pattern from it. You're right, it is a tad tight, would work best with a little heat treatment, and is best suited to a hard attachment to the seatpan, just like the original.

Reading between the lines on Suzukicycles.org, it appears the 1981 1000G may have been briefly marketed out of North America as a 1982 model, until it's replacement by the 1100G. At least the colours in the photo look an awful lot like ones I have seen out of South Africa.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

I found this company which makes a complete seat, but also the cover should look the same as that (so I bought this cover), its not exactly the same as my old cover, but maybe that is also not original.

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

the trouble with the pit replica covers is that they now seem to have a suzuki logo on the back.

I have yet to find a picture that can trust of the original gs1000g flat seat, maybe this is one

or it could be the same as this gs850 seat

I've got the rust remover soaking into the old seat pan at the moment.

Comment

DSC_0029.jpg
            This is my old cover, you can see on the edge how the previous owner destroyed it with some clips

Comment

That looks to be a Saddleman cover to me.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

I put this Pit Replica seat cover on my 1981 1000G. It does have a Suzuki logo on the back that isn't stock. I could have removed that or painted over it, I'm sure. It was tight to put on, but it fits and looks just great.

Comment

How did you attach the PR cover to your seatpan?
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Looks nice, bike looks great too! Apparently it is possible to get without the Suzuki logo, but then takes 3 weeks delivery

Comment

There are pointy tabs on the inside of the seat pan. You pull the cover down, then bend it over the bottom of the pan, then let the pointy tabs poke through it and hold it. Just like stock. I put new plastic trim on the outside of mine. That helps a little too. That bikes got like 56,000 miles on it. Runs great, and its never been apart as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                      X