Points adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points adjustment

I finally got around to getting a timing light on my 78 GS750 and found out the points where way out of spec. The is issue I'm having is that the 1-4 set is in spec when the plate is just about at the end of the adjustment slot. So when I move over the the 2-3 set I have to move that one to the other end of its adjustment and it still needs to move more to even get beyond TDC and into the advance range. Does this indicate my points are worn and I need new ones or what?
    The current garage:
    1978 GS750
    1975 GT750M
    1984 CB700SC
    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
    1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Some fresh points wouldn't hurt, gapped properly of course.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Centre the backing plate. Put a feeler blade the same as the gap width in the points. Rotate the points to meet the high point on the cam and lock. Repeat for the other set.
      This should put you in the ball park with options right and left for both points.
      Points are always out of spec. The condensors not far behind. Stone age technology.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Personally I'm kinda partial to the points. Dead reliable and work just fine in non-racing application. That being said what is the most common electronic ignition conversion for these bikes on the forum? If im going to look into replacing the points might as well look into electronic as well
        The current garage:
        1978 GS750
        1975 GT750M
        1984 CB700SC
        1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
          Personally I'm kinda partial to the points. Dead reliable and work just fine in non-racing application. That being said what is the most common electronic ignition conversion for these bikes on the forum? If im going to look into replacing the points might as well look into electronic as well
          People rode bikes around the world on points. Yes, you have to know how to set them up. A spare set takes up zero room in your luggage and looks really good when your old school ignition gives out halfway down Baja.

That said, a spare ignitor box is pretty easy to pack; just a lot harder to pay for in advance, which is why nobody carries one. Okay, some soul will volunteer to be the outlier, but statistically…?

In theory, an ignitor box should be almost bombproof, but the accountants must have got in the way. There are times when a set of points looks really good. But the stock units seem to last well as long as you have the charging system well sorted and a series regulator/rectifier. Fitting a Shindengen SH775 R/R and getting the grounds sorted seems to result in a more automotive level of voltage control and electrical reliability.

As you note, the problem with points is that the aftermarket ones are often a bit kooky as to the alignment of the foot so you may have to lengthen the adjustment slots somewhat. The metallurgy is also questionable, as is whatever they decided to make the foot out of.

I'm considering just going to GS500 ignition parts as they aren't so hard to source. 21st century electrical components. Seems like a better idea than a Dyna unit.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

Dyna S is your best and probably only choice. Mine's 34 years old
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I bought OEM points and condensers for the '79 GS850 I fixed up for my nephew. They would have nearly covered the price of a Dyna ignition. I also have no problem with points, but OEM is spendy. I think i still have some cars with points, my Lotus 7 has them, as does my '67 Cortina.
              Last edited by 850 Combat; 06-25-2017, 03:29 PM.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yeah unfortunately to do a new set of OEM points and condensers is going to run about $90. I don't want to do aftermarket as I've heard they have some of the same fitment issues I have now. With points I like being able to make quick and easy timing adjustments (Since I work on cars a lot I've gotten really into tuning for peak power). With the Dyna S does it allow for any timing adjustment? I've heard of some ignitions on other bikes allowing for a computer controlled timing curve but can't seem to find the information for the dyna anywhere
                The current garage:
                1978 GS750
                1975 GT750M
                1984 CB700SC
                1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Could you add a little more adjustment to the points with a file? Not ideal, but....
                  I've put Dyna-S on two Hondas and have been happy with it, one set last year and the other close to 20 years ago.
                  On the other hand, I've taken the pertronix electronic ignition out of my boat's 351w after having trouble with two sets of their igniter and igniter II... kind of apples and oranges, but I can tell exactly zero difference in performance. I do like how points always get you home.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    Could you add a little more adjustment to the points with a file? Not ideal, but....
                    I've put Dyna-S on two Hondas and have been happy with it, one set last year and the other close to 20 years ago.
                    On the other hand, I've taken the pertronix electronic ignition out of my boat's 351w after having trouble with two sets of their igniter and igniter II... kind of apples and oranges, but I can tell exactly zero difference in performance. I do like how points always get you home.
                    I could file the backing plates but if I do end up with new points it probably wouldn't be needed and I don't want to ruin the plates. I actually work a shop that restores old mustangs and cougars and I absolutely hate the pertronix setup. I'm convinced they're actually made in china. But anyway I think what I may do is file the slots for more adjustment and save some money for a Dyna 2000 setup with dual crank triggers and an ECU.

My previous bike was a honda twin with a similar ignition setup to the Dyna 2000 and it was good four an extra 20 MPG and a much better bottom end power
                    The current garage:
                    1978 GS750
                    1975 GT750M
                    1984 CB700SC
                    1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

Yeah unfortunately to do a new set of OEM points and condensers is going to run about $90. I don't want to do aftermarket as I've heard they have some of the same fitment issues I have now. With points I like being able to make quick and easy timing adjustments (Since I work on cars a lot I've gotten really into tuning for peak power). With the Dyna S does it allow for any timing adjustment? I've heard of some ignitions on other bikes allowing for a computer controlled timing curve but can't seem to find the information for the dyna anywhere
                      You're confusing technology eras. The Dyna S is 80's bike tech, so think 1970 car tech. Think about replacing the points distributor on a 289 with electronically triggered one. That's what the Dyna S does. The Dyna 2000 is a waste of money unless you're racing, or have a modified motor.

It's not like now, hooking up a laptop and reprogramming the advance curve.

Plus, these motors already have more HP/CC than those cast iron lumps you work with.
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        You're confusing technology eras. The Dyna S is 80's bike tech, so think 1970 car tech. Think about replacing the points distributor on a 289 with electronically triggered one. That's what the Dyna S does. The Dyna 2000 is a waste of money unless you're racing, or have a modified motor.

It's not like now, hooking up a laptop and reprogramming the advance curve.

Plus, these motors already have more HP/CC than those cast iron lumps you work with.
                        Correct me if I'm wrong but the Dyna S is in other words just a solid state set of "points" that uses a magnetic pickup? If I'm going to spend the extra money I want to get some sort of performance advantage. Otherwise i'll just stick with the points. Yes the dyna 2000 is a lot of money. I don't remember the brand but my last bike has the equivalent to the Dyna 2000 with computer controlled timing curves. The best part about it wasn't so much the power but the fuel economy. I went from about 40-50mpg to around 80 just by tuning the ignition curve.

I do understand even in the 70's these things are far more capable than the typical auto engine of the time (especially considering the weight) so there isn't much power left to be had
                        The current garage:
                        1978 GS750
                        1975 GT750M
                        1984 CB700SC
                        1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo

Comment

You are correct. The Dyna S is just magnetic pick ups replacing the points
                          Gains? Better spark, no deterioration of timing, never have to buy points again.
                          Like I said, mine's 34 years old, so it's been quite a bargain

The ignition curve on your bike is set by the springs and weights on the advance unit, just like the 60s V8s
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X