X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Carb Boot Removal

GS750 Carb And Boot.jpg

Hey Guys -

Looking for some tips on removing the carbs from their respective boots (see pic, circled in green). I searched the forums, and downloaded the link to the carb rebuild guide, but didn't find anything.

I don't want to force anything, and rip the boots. I already loosened the boot clamps (see pic, circled in red), throttle cables, and screw for the throttle stop plate above carb #1.

Any tips?
    Project Bike - 1977 GS750

sigpic

Have you removed the airbox? They should just pull out. Make sure your clamps are very loose.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I removed the airbox, and the clamps are loose enough where I can remove them.

Unless it's my imagination, the boots seem kind of stiff though. I'm also wondering if the previous owner slathered some type of silicon in there. It looks like silicon was used where the boots meet the head.

I guess I'll just keep trying...

sigpic

Comment

Heat gun to soften the rubber and a pry bar wedged strategically to get them out. 77,78, and 79 GS 750 and 78 and 79 Gs 1000 intake manifolds are the same. JBM sells new intakes for around 100.00 a set of 4. The silicone was because they were deteriorating and seperating from the flange causing vacuum leaks. You need to replace those intakes. get your carb rebuild orings and intake orings here. Measure the ID of the oring groove in the intakes and order accordingly.

Also heres a site youll need to bookmark and on the right side youll scroll down and see the VM CARB REBUILD TUTORIAL. In the service manual menu sellect the 8 valve 750 manual.

How to place an order with JBM Industries. First measure and be sure what items you want. Next, send an email message describing the parts you need to request an invoice. We have no part numbers. When you get the invoice, pay in 3 days with credit card.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-23-2017, 10:39 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Heat gun to soften the rubber and a pry bar wedged strategically to get them out. 77,78, and 79 GS 750 and 78 and 79 Gs 1000 intake manifolds are the same. JBM sells new intakes for around 100.00 a set of 4. The silicone was because they were deteriorating and seperating from the flange causing vacuum leaks. You need to replace those intakes. get your carb rebuild orings and intake orings here. Measure the ID of the oring groove in the intakes and order accordingly.

Also heres a site youll need to bookmark and on the right side youll scroll down and see the VM CARB REBUILD TUTORIAL. In the service manual menu sellect the 8 valve 750 manual.

http://jbmindustries.com/RubberFlange.html
          Thank you! I'll have a chance to wrench on my bike tomorrow, and try it out. The carbs look really clean inside. Hopefully I can just replace the orings, and not have to soak them in a carb cleaner, which was the original plan. But I priced a bucket of carb cleaner at pep boys, and it was like $40 bucks. I don't remember it being that expensive a few years ago...

sigpic

Comment

Agree totally on the heat gun / hair dryer method to make
            the boots flexible !! Essential.
            If stuck on try some penetrating oil .

Also on my GS550 the putting the boots back is a
            nightmare -

One tip is a bent coat hanger to carefully
            allow to pull the remaining boot section over
            the bodies.

I am too poor for soaking in carb cleaner ...
            and unltrasonic cleaning .... and I
            remove all the bits from the carbs ( still
            connected in a bank of 4) and simmer in a
            solution if water and lemon juice for 30 minutes.
            Clean the jets properly and blow out bodies etc.

This has worked faultlessly for me on 3 recons
            from terrible gunge to working perfectly.
            I do this as like to test if far cheaper ways work.
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Save yourself the repeat of removing them again once you see it runs like schitts because you didnt do a full tear down and soaking the first time. Tear them down and follow the tutorial and youll be very glad you did so. Doing it right the first time saves a lot of grief down the road for you.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The more difficult part will be removing the boot screws from the engine when you replace the boots (which you should)... and o-rings (most definatly).
                And do get the o-rings kit and the screw kit from cycle o-ring (a fine member here).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  The more difficult part will be removing the boot screws from the engine when you replace the boots (which you should)... and o-rings (most definatly).
                  And do get the o-rings kit and the screw kit from cycle o-ring (a fine member here).
                  Geez. Hadn't realized how long it's been since my last post. Life kind of happened. But, I finally got the carbs off. Thanks for all the tips. Used a combination of a heat gun and a ball joint remover to wedge them off. And yes, the boot screws were a real pain! I still have to remove the 2 lower screws on the #1 and #4 boots at this point. Just kind of waiting for liquid wrench to work it's magic.

1111171500a.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Here are the boots. Them seem like they're in okay condition. What do you guys think? I can only post 1 pic at a time...

1111171500c.jpg

sigpic

Comment

And another...

1113171153b.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Last one...

1113171158c.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Let's just say that you will need to remove them to replace the o-rings behind them, anyway, why not just replace them?

They really should be replaced every 25-30 years, it appears that yours have not been done yet.

And when you hold the carbs up to the new boots, it will almost seem like the get sucked into place, they go in that easily.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You're right...some things just aren't worth skimping on. Especially if it makes working on this puppy easier. I might even spend a bit extra and use the NOS stuff.

sigpic

Comment

GS1000 ones at top left...same as the 750s.

How to place an order with JBM Industries. First measure and be sure what items you want. Next, send an email message describing the parts you need to request an invoice. We have no part numbers. When you get the invoice, pay in 3 days with credit card.

Comment

Working...
                              X