Do I need new shocks??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need new shocks??!

So, I went for my first ride the other day. Just a short ride and my kickstand drags when turning left. I am 215lbs. And the Kickstand was all the way up. I double checked that when I heard it scrap the ground. So, I'm assuming my shocks are blown?! Oh, 81' GS650G
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2017, 09:44 AM.

Mine does that as well - thanks for reminding me to put in a fresh spring later today. IMO this should resolve the problem.

Edit: just saw that you wrote 'kickstand was all the way up'. Yeah, must be something else in your case.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

We're not talking about a mini bike here? 215 lbs shouldn't be too much for any gs - do they sag that much when you just sit on it?
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Could be the forks instead of the shocks.
        Does the front end feel spongy?
        Is there oil stains on the rear shocks?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

To me the Front forks seem alittle soft, I know that I can apply the front brake and the forks move a good amount. granted I don't know how much movement is supposed to have nor do I know how stiff they should be. Could I change the Fork Oil? would that help possibly? and no, the Rear shocks don't seem to be leaking, they are set to the highest position. I took the Ole'Lady for a ride this morning and it dragged even more when coming in to a left turn. I know this may be stupid, but I didn't check tire pressure before going on my first ride. I checked tire pressure last week, I wanna know if the rear tire is losing air. That would cause it wouldn't it?!?!

Comment

What' s the spring preload setting?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by 94Ranger View Post
              So, I went for my first ride the other day. Just a short ride and my kickstand drags when turning left. I am 215lbs. And the Kickstand was all the way up. I double checked that when I heard it scrap the ground. So, I'm assuming my shocks are blown?! Oh, 81' GS650G
              Unless you have replaced the shocks and fork springs recently you almost certainly need new shocks and fork springs. That said, even tired shocks shouldn't let you drag the kickstand unless your name is Rainey or Schwantz. Is your bike lowered? Have shorter than stock shocks on it?

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                What' s the spring preload setting?
                Have no Idea. Factory stuff. Factory rear springs set to highest damper setting. I don't think the PO didn't any fork work.

Originally posted by mmattockx
                Unless you have replaced the shocks and fork springs recently you almost certainly need new shocks and fork springs. That said, even tired shocks shouldn't let you drag the kickstand unless your name is Rainey or Schwantz. Is your bike lowered? Have shorter than stock shocks on it?
                I don't think it has been lowered.

Originally posted by steve Murdoch
                Could be the forks instead of the shocks.
                Does the front end feel spongy?
                Is there oil stains on the rear shocks?
                How much movement of the front forks should there be? Can you give me a test to see? I know holding the front brake I can easily push down on the handlebars, and no, no oil stains on rear shocks.

Thank you guys for all the help. So, I'm wondering should I just go ahead and buy some new shocks and go to sonic springs for the front forks? I have looked up some rear shocks. But I'm extremely tight on money cause I bought the bike it boxes and had to reassemble it. Lots of little things add up to lots of money. So, with that being said, I've seen some EMGO rear shocks for pretty cheap. Are the any good? Are the decent for the money?

Comment

I will answer your questions with my comments in blue.

Factory stuff. Factory rear springs set to highest damper setting.
                  Not sure if it's good new or bad news, but the factory shocks on the 650 did not have adjustable damping.
                  They DID have a preload adjustment, which is that saw-toothed ramp at the bottom that can be turned. That does nothing for spring rate, it will only raise the back of the bike about an inch when there is enough weight to compress the springs. With your stated "gravitational attraction" the stock springs WILL be compressed. When you add your passenger (I refuse to call anyone an "Ole lady), those springs will be begging for help.

I don't think it has been lowered.
                  The length of most GS shocks is 330 mm, or roughly 13".

How much movement of the front forks should there be? Can you give me a test to see? I know holding the front brake I can easily push down on the handlebars, and no, no oil stains on rear shocks.
                  First, determine how much "sag" you have. Start with the bike on the centerstand, measure from the top of the lower fork tube (dust cap) to the bottom of the triple clamp. Take the bike off the centerstand, see if the forks have compressed at all. Now sit on the bike, have a helper measure that same location with as much of your weight as possible on the bike. You are looking for 20-25% difference. I think the 650 has about 5" of travel in the forks, so you are looking for a difference of .8-1.0". If you have more than that, your springs are definitely weak. Sonic springs are highly recommended, along with the proper level of 10w fork oil.

No oil stains on the shocks could mean that they are perfectly oil-tight or it could be that all the oil has leaked out and there is nothing left. You choose which one.

Thank you guys for all the help. So, I'm wondering should I just go ahead and buy some new shocks and go to sonic springs for the front forks? I have looked up some rear shocks. But I'm extremely tight on money cause I bought the bike it boxes and had to reassemble it. Lots of little things add up to lots of money. So, with that being said, I've seen some EMGO rear shocks for pretty cheap. Are the any good? Are the decent for the money?
                  EMGO shocks are not only inexpensive, they are CHEAP. Their springs are stiff enough to hold up a small pickup truck and their damping is virtually non-existant. Then you factor in that the rubber bushings will not last more than a few months. For just a bit more, Hagon shocks will give you MUCH better results. Contact Dave Quinn at DaveQuinnMotorcycles.com, he will ask a few questions about your size, your passenger's size, bike and riding style. He will then select a shock body with proper damping and select proper-rate springs. Cost is just over $200, and you will be MUCH happier.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Put the bike on the centerstand to raise wheel off ground (use plywood under stand if needed). Measure eye to eye on rear stock- hopefully you got at least 12.5 inches, but some folks like the lowered look! Make sure front fork tubes are even with top of triple tree mount.

Brand new shocks would be nice, no doubt, but you can scoop a "decent" set of used ones for less than $50 shipped to try things out. I've been happily running a set for 2 years off a 550 .
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X