Part number stamped on carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part number stamped on carbs?

Hey guys. I have learned that several different years and models use the BS32SS carb like my '81 GS850G does, but not all BS32SS carbs are created equal. Does anyone know how to identify which version a carb is by looking at it, maybe like if the Suzuki part number might be stamped on the body somewhere? At the moment, the only difference I am aware of is the number that is stamped on the throttle butterfly valve (I have seen 130, 135 and 140).

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Part no. will be etched on side of slide chamber body, generally on outboard carbs (#1 or #4). Sometimes, if carbs have been excessively cleaned or wire-brushed, part no. will be near impossible to decipher. Hope this helps.
    carb49100.jpg
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
      Part no. will be etched on side of slide chamber body, generally on outboard carbs (#1 or #4). Sometimes, if carbs have been excessively cleaned or wire-brushed, part no. will be near impossible to decipher. Hope this helps.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51655[/ATTACH]

Yes, that does help. Thanks.

So along those same lines, do you know for certain what the stamp on the throttle valve refers to? At the moment, I have one that is stamped "135" (on the #3 carburetor, which is not the original), whereas the others are all stamped "130". I think one guy on here said it refers to the angle at which the edges of the valve are beveled. I suspect that is the reason I can't get my bike to idle below 3000 rpm - despite everything else being perfect.

Thoughts?

Comment

Definitely outside my area of expertise, Scott... but i believe your hunch may be correct re bevel degree and how it impacts the "slow" (start-up/idle) system. I'm sure someone here will happen along and enlighten us.
        '80 GS1000ST
        '92 ZX-11

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
          Definitely outside my area of expertise, Scott... but i believe your hunch may be correct re bevel degree and how it impacts the "slow" (start-up/idle) system. I'm sure someone here will happen along and enlighten us.
          Assuming I find the culprit, I'm gonna be WAY more of an expert on these carbs than I ever wanted to be! I have a matching "130" valve - along with all its associated hardware - on the way from Ebay. I'm hoping that I can just swap it into the non-original #3 carb and have everything end happily ever after. I'll know by this time next week.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

The stamp on the throttle valve refers to the throttle plate angle. Usually, you can adjust the carb opening to compensate when syncing the carbs. I suspect the bigger issue you may be facing is that your #3 carb body probably has a different main air jet size. The main air jet is not removable but is a pressed fit jet. The only way to tell for sure is to measure the actual drilled opening size in the jet. The jet is located opposite the removable pilot air jet on the filter side of the carburetor body.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Good man. Be sure to check all associated jets in #3 as well, if running stock setup.

Shop online for OEM Carburetor parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11

Comment

I think I may have found the problem. It's not with the angle of the bevel on the butterfly valve, it's the angle of the plane of the butterfly valve; there's not supposed to be any. The top edge sealed real well against the throttle bore, but the bottom edge couldn't because the valve is bent. See the attached photos.

DSC_3448 PS1.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Wowwee! Yeah, that's not right. I get the impression that that carb was sitting in a parts bin somewhere and someone just chucked other parts on top of it. That's just about the only way to get such a messed up throttle plate and body. FYI I probably won't be able to stop by again until some time after the 4th of July weekend.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X