Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only one threaded bolt hole for the side stand.....options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one threaded bolt hole for the side stand.....options?

Just in from working on the GS1000G and hit a snag. The kickstand was so loose the spring kept falling off and the assembly was loose on the frame as well. I acquired a used decent side stand assembly to replace it.
    Po removed the whole center stand assembly for some reason so I grabbed the floor jack and raised the frame up a little over needed to remove the old side stand...rear bolt came out easily. The front bolt spun alot...grabbed once or twice then spun all the time. Wound up simply yanking down on it it and it fell out....not good...explains why the whole assembly was loose.
    With the old side stand removed I grabbed a thin screw driver and probed both holes...rear hole has a threaded something inside of the shroud...front hole does not. The whole shroud has no real openings with which to loose a nut nor install one. My guess is the nut insert was tacked in from the factory but got loose somehow...I don't know what was holding that front bolt on but it's gone.

So, without any viable access to inside that shrouded area for the side stand...what are my options?
    -1st thought is find out the ID and drill/tap over sized for that bolt hole - shroud metal thickness is a minor concern since it appears to be roughly .150 -.200 thick. {a guess}
    -2nd idea was a possible riv-nut set in but I hate using those things...50/50 track record for setting them solidly`

-more options?

Front hole is .446 ID on the shroud.....looks like it could be a 1/2-20 F {29/64 bit-.453 hole} ...could also invest in a metric drill bit and tap 12C @ .503

Comment

open up the hole to weld in a new steel bung with the same inner diameter as the original bolt ?

steel_npt_bung__14445.1420701883.500.500.jpg

Or weld in a larger bolt, drill it and tap thread ?
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
        open up the hole to weld in a new steel bung with the same inner diameter as the original bolt ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51660[/ATTACH]

Or weld in a larger bolt, drill it and tap thread ?
        Hmmm...option 3 then!
        I have to check in the shop monday to see what taps I have to work with....nothing metric but I'm solid up to 3/8" with a few oddballs.

Comment

Working...
        X