GS 750 T hard to downshift when cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 T hard to downshift when cold.

A new to me 82 gs750t. Its hard to downshift when the oil is cold. Also some strange noises when pulling in clutch. It sounds like a steel pin pops into the engine case when up shifting 1-3 gears. I put a new stator on it I dont think its related to that. I believe it has something to do with the rpm release when pulling clutch in for shifting. The difference or lack of power makes something pop out to make that noise. Anyone had an issue like this.

Did the issue start after you replaced the stator ?

Can you locate the sound by placing a large screwdriver on different parts of the engine and put your ear against the screwdriver like using a stethoscope ?

Pulling the clutch cover is good on a new to you bike, especially since you note the sound seems to be caused by pulling the clutch - may be the clutch hub nut is loose or clutch plate broken.

These came from another thread but may help :

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    My friend had a 83 750ES that suddenly stopped shifting, I don't recall the bike locking up, just that it wouldn't shift gears.
    It turned out to be the spring on the shift detent, accessible after removing oil pan.
    It's #21 on a OEM fische in the gear "shifting section".
    It broke was all, replaced it and all was fine after that.

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
    I was a victim of the cam sprocket bolt backing out.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I didnt ride it before i replaced the stator. Craigslist buy. Im going to replace the clutch plates soon. The sound is on the stator side and I belive the breif loss of rpm between shifts makes whatever it is pop.

Comment

Good call on the oil pan. I had not experienced that clutch issue with my "T" even after I took it apart to reset the claw.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
        X